News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Some members expressed an interest in seeing this item. Sorry for the lousy pictures. According to Trevor Ristow this ribbon dates to around 1900, making it probably rarer than the actual cross. I'd be interested to hear what people have to say as to the intent of these single sided crosses. I've heard everything from funeral pillow items to theatrical pieces. I have seen photos pre-1945 of these in wear by recipients, so that was definitely done in period. Overall the quality of the cross is quite nice, with hand chasing of the lettering and nice detail to the eagles. The blue is darker than what you would expect on award pieces. This cross came out of a GI's souvenir album, so there are traces of glue on the back of the ribbon.

PLM4.jpg

PLM3.jpg

PLM2.jpg

PLM1.jpg

Nice interwar piece. Meybauer made them in both single and double side versions, they're believed struck from the Godet tool. An interesting reading on WAF.

Here is a double side example, still looking for a period ribbon for it.

PLMa.jpg.1b73acacb95aa86a2101c5c4a3ed65c0.jpgPLMb.jpg.59319a8b73b035e5db691bee914d49f9.jpg

Edited by lew

Beautiful crosses Gentlemen and an item I have no knowledge or experience with so it’s really nice to see these examples. They seem much more delicate and detailed as compared to the endless plethora of copies we see. Does anyone have a Meybauer catalog showing these?

I can’t see the WAF thread as I’m special over there (banned for life for disagreeing with Seba) ! How does the double sided one compare in weight and dimensions to the Godet war-time crosses? The details look very good, especially the feet of the eagles. Having recently handled a number of war time crosses from The Traveling Circus I can say Lee’s example is the closest I’ve seen.