News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Questions About An 1870 EK I Reverse

Greetings,

Full disclosure here: I’m screening a purchase. If that’s not allowed, then please let me know. 

I have an opportunity to buy an 1870 EK I through private sale and although the obverse doesn’t scream “inauthentic” to me the reverse pin is giving me some consternation. The seller doesn’t indicate any markings on the reverse and I cannot find pictures of an 1870 EK I with exactly this type of pin, although it does look similar to what Previtera shows on pp. 111 and 113 of his Iron Times (1st ed.). Please note that I’m not trying to claim that the cross below is a Godet or a Wagner (pp. 111 and 113, respectively). 

I have not been given any dimensions.

As I still very much consider myself a “babe in the woods” with respect to 1870 EKs, any and all assistance/judgements are welcome.

Thank you!

Tracy

Reverse (seller’s photo):

1870 EK I Rev.jpg

Obverse (seller’s photo):

1870 EK I Obv.jpg

• 1 month later...
    On 03/02/2024 at 06:23, gregM said:

Frankenstein cross. 

Someone took a $500 1870 Ek2 and tried turning it into a

$4k Ek1.

Yes it is common butchery They do the same with the 1929 crosses with round 3 - butcher very nice EK2 to convert to EK1