News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bulgarian Order of Saint Alexander awarded to Hans Michahelles

Hello,

According to Manfred Dörr's book about the Knight's Cross holders of the Kriegsmarine, Hans Michahelles was awarded the Bulgarian Order of Saint Alexander 5th Class (Knight's Cross) with Swords on Ring on 20 April 1942 (see the photo below).

I find this highly unlikely because on the date when he was awarded this order (20 April 1942), Michahelles' rank was already Kapitän zur See (Captain), too high a rank to be awarded the 5th class (Knight's Cross).

Am I right to assume it's highly unlikely someone of his rank would've been awarded the Knight's Cross class?

Seeing as he was also awarded the Bulgarian Order of Military Merit 3rd Class (Commander's Cross) with War Decoration, I assume the class of his Order of Saint Alexander should also be the Commander's Cross.

Can anyone with access to Bulgarian sources perhaps check the class of the Order of Saint Alexander that Michahelles was awarded?

I would be very grateful for any help in this matter.

0ef9115e-893c-4448-9cde-7bf23a0c9f48.jpg