News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dear Gentlemen,

Some WWI ribbon bars:

- British War Medal & Victory Medal Ribbon Bar On Original Card:

image.thumb.jpeg.9fcb3b103c19ccecceacb4cc4e949bab.jpeg

- 1914 Star-BWM-VM miniature:

image.jpeg.42d0ae796d2530317848fff61ebf1d4e.jpeg

- 1914 Star-BWM-VM:

image.jpeg.57e6cf374f64ccbb47fca1112e530571.jpeg

-  Q.S.A.M.-K.S.A.M.-1914-1915 Star-B.W.M.:

image.jpeg.df2a0de894ebcbe4d487b6c0e34b2736.jpeg

-  Order of the British Empire (Civil) / 1914-15 Star / British War Med. / 1914-1918 Mercantile Marine Med. / Victory Med. / Defence Med.:

image.thumb.jpeg.4c1bd90d814eb49176e19f410f6874f7.jpeg

Yours sincerely,

No one

On 25/03/2024 at 05:20, No one said:

Order of the British Empire (Civil) / 1914-15 Star / British War Med. / 1914-1918 Mercantile Marine Med. / Victory Med. / Defence Med.:

Some snippets from Wikipedia:

All recipients of the Mercantile Marine War Medal also received the British War Medal. Service solely in the Mercantile Marine did not earn them the award of the Victory Medal or either of the two Stars.

However. Members of the Royal Navy seconded to the Mercantile Marine to man defensive weapons on merchant ships could qualify for the Mercantile Marine War Medal in addition to other campaign medals. 

Also. Men who transferred in or out of the Mercantile Marine from, or to, the fighting services could also qualify for the award of the Victory Medal and, if appropriate, the 1914 Star or 1914–15 Star, while still being eligible for the Mercantile Marine War Medal.
    Service solely in the Mercantile Marine sadly did not count for the award of the Victory Medal or either of the two Stars.

It would seem to me that your ribbons were worn by a merchant seaman after the war. The arrangement of ribbons was not regulated, or regs were ignored, for them and though I’ve seen this in pics, I’ve never had one myself.  

Though it could be an army man that also served in the MM and again went to sea after the war, it’s most likely a Royal Navy man that earned these for service as described above.

👉 it’s a cool thing, yours with the OBE particularly so. 😊

tony 🍻

ps that ‘South Africa’ bar is missing another row I think , or at least one ribbon, it definitely should have the ww1 Victory medal, it was always awarded with the other two.  👍 

Posted (edited)

Dear Farkas,

Thank you for taking the time to explain exactly how to interpret the ribbon bars.

Your work is greatly appreciated.

I purchased this ribbon bar because of the combination of OBE and MM. I found it pleasing.

Yours sincerely,

No one

PS: your message didn't show up, neither does mine

Edited by No one
    to add "neither does mine"

The qsa bar could be a bar that was made before the victory medal was issued as the victory was established I believe a few months after the war medal so it could have been made up before the owner physically got the war medal and victory medal (and the 15 star was established before the war medal to) I also believe there was some debate on the final ribbon for the victory medal (IV a few ribbon bars that have the never used version of the victory ribbon and a bar that has both the official and unofficial ribbon on it ie he was double dipping)

Edited by paddywhack

The Mercantile Marine War Medal (1914-1918) was issued to merchant seamen by the Board of Trade.  The BWM was not instituted until 26 July 1919.  Ribbons were often issued before the medal was ready for issue so you can find some interesting combination of ribbon bars.

Regards,

Gordon