News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Stonehouse Borough helmet plate

I'm trying to source a Stonehouse Borough helmet plate, or a replica of one. I'm also trying to find an image of the helmet plate. Is there anyone that can assist with this please?

There was never, according to the records I have, such a police force. If they did have a body of police or Constables then they existed before the creation of recognised police forces. That being the case, they would not have worn helmets, which came into use circa. 1865.

Dave.

Ps. I assume you are talking about Stonehouse in Devon. If you are, it was never a "Borough" but was an area of what is now part of Plymouth. 

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

Posted (edited)

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply.

I'm a retired Bobby from Devon and Cornwall, and did some research on the family tree of the Force.

The part I'm trying to get helmet plates for at present, are the Plymouth side, as I live in Plymouth, and used to be Response in Plymouth. 

Going back from the current Devon and Cornwall Police Force,  there is.........

Plymouth City Police 1928-1967 (I have this helmet plate)

Plymouth Borough Police 1836-1928 (I have this one coming)

Devonport Borough Police 1836-1914 (I have this one coming)

Stonehouse Borough Police 1836-1914 (I am searching for this one)

I think this is correct, unless you're saying it's incorrect. 

20240411_203052.heic

Edited by timroutley
    Didn't show photo

I've collected British police insignia since 1966, and have had an interest in the history of British policing since that time. I've looked at several publications. Two in particular "Survey of the Present and Former Police Forces of England, Wales & the Channel Islands" By H.V.D. Hallett (July 1975), and "The British Police, Police Forces & Chief Officers 1829 -2012. Published by the Police History Society (2nd Edition 2011). Neither mention the Stonehouse Borough Police. There is a third book, "Badges of Office" by Wilkinson & Taylor. This book gives details of a "family tree" for each of the current forces. Again, no mention.

I don't know who has provided you with the information you apparently have, but it is manifestly wrong. No such force has ever existed. As an aside, I'm sorry to say that I've not been able to open your attachment.

So, as I've said previously, you are looking for a helmet plate that does not exist.

Dave. 

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

Thanks for the reply again. You are right about Stonehouse, as one of my colleagues has informed me of the mistake, as you have. I wish I could remember where I got my family tree information from.

He also pointed out that he doesn't believe that there was a Torquay Borough Police, which I had on my family tree. 

I really don't understand why I can't seem to upload a photo, as I was clearly able to do it years ago, when I uploaded photos of various truncheons I have.

A very good authority on Police Forces in England & Wales, 'Illustrated Police History of England & Wales' 2023' by Peter B. Clark does not mention a Stonehouse police force at all, This is essential material for Police medal collectors, available as a down loadable book on the internet. Highly recommended.

10 hours ago, dpk said:

A very good authority on Police Forces in England & Wales, 'Illustrated Police History of England & Wales' 2023' by Peter B. Clark does not mention a Stonehouse police force at all, This is essential material for Police medal collectors, available as a down loadable book on the internet. Highly recommended.

I would not recommend buying this. There is a degree of misinformation contained within it and some incorrectly described illustrations which are in the main copied from various sources. The individual in question invariably marks each of the photos with his "copyright" mark. Rather rich, when you consider that the majority of the images are taken from eBay and other uncredited sources.  A far more reliable tome is that published by the Police History Society, and which is mentioned in my previous posting. I have no time for individuals who seek financial or other such advantage using images belonging to others, without appropriate credit or permission. 

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

12 hours ago, timroutley said:

Thanks for the reply again. You are right about Stonehouse, as one of my colleagues has informed me of the mistake, as you have. I wish I could remember where I got my family tree information from.

He also pointed out that he doesn't believe that there was a Torquay Borough Police, which I had on my family tree. 

I really don't understand why I can't seem to upload a photo, as I was clearly able to do it years ago, when I uploaded photos of various truncheons I have.

Tim,

There was indeed a Torquay Police Force. It existed between 1835 and 1857. There were never any helmet badges but there were tunic buttons. I have an example in my collection. See appended photo.

Devon & Cornwall had a myriad of small Town Police Forces, most of which existed for only a few years.

Dave. 

DSCF1960.JPG

Posted (edited)

Thanks again Dave, and thanks for the photo of the Torquay tunic button. 

Can I ask a favour, as I'm struggling to attach photos to my comments. 

Can you tell me step by step, how to attach a photo from my existing photos, and then I can see where I'm going wrong.......

I looked for the book ....Badges of Office, that you recommended, but the cheapest I could find was £50 on ebay, so a bit expensive. 

Edited by timroutley

1 hour ago, timroutley said:

Thanks again Dave, and thanks for the photo of the Torquay tunic button. 

Can I ask a favour, as I'm struggling to attach photos to my comments. 

Can you tell me step by step, how to attach a photo from my existing photos, and then I can see where I'm going wrong.......

I looked for the book ....Badges of Office, that you recommended, but the cheapest I could find was £50 on ebay, so a bit expensive. 

Tim,

When you reply to a topic, or start a new post, at the bottom of the box you are typing in, you will see the image of a paperclip on the left hand side. I click on the blue highlighted words "choose files". That should take you to images stored on your computer. Select your image. Click on "open" and the image will appear on the bottom of your posting.

I did have a spare copy of "Badges of Office", but unfortunately parted with it. The book is out of print and has been for several years. Despite that fact, I would not pay any more than £20-25 for a copy for it if you do find one.

Dave. 

Tim,

I've been  able to source a "used" copy of "Badges of Office". which you are welcome to have with my compliments. Contact me on:-

dave.wilkinson73@btinternet.com 

With your address.

Dave.