News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Red Banner 3rd award research

For Rick Research

I scanned this one, hope it is better.

This is for my red banner ser 1787 3rd award.

It came with an Ukaz doc for long service, but he had numerous other awards.

There is the awrd card and another doc, which I assume is for other awards?

Edited by rboomsma

Guest Rick Research

Mother of God have mercy!!!!! :banger::banger::banger::banger:

These are so huge the only way I can see complete words is to go offline and SHRINK them down so they are visible on my monitor screen without scrolling like a seasick sailor lost at sea to get complete lines visible at one time.

The contrast on these is so bright the spidery handwriting is lost in the whiteness.

Just ABANDON this thread and try again with darker scans that are visible with one page viewable in its entirety on screen.

All I can get from the 1st page =

Vasily Ivanovich Ka....in Guards Lieutenant Colonel, born 21 February 1908 in the village of Avratin..... Member CPSU since 1930, higher education, Ukrainian, in Red Army since 15 September 1927. "Then" was Deputy (if I am reading this right) Divisional Commander of 246th Rifles Division. "Now" 83rd Guards Mechanized (cannot read huge and too thin/white) Regiment of (same problem) Division, Regimental Commander. Current address Field Post # 29(>)86.

Guest Rick Research

I thought maybe you had a "wide screen TV" computer monitor. :speechless1::rolleyes:

I am DELIGHTED to have "MONDVOR" helping translate-- bear in mind that I am almost legally blind and Russian is about 9th on my list of languages. :cat:

Like THIS works better, more if you can get even better contrast:

[attachmentid=39145]

Still not sure what his last name is-- Katsirin? Born in village of Avratin, (B?)azaliisky Raion, Kamenets-Podal'skaya Oblast. MIDDLE education. "Now" unit at time ARC was made out 83rd Guards Mech..... Regiment in 26th Guards Mechanized Division, as Regimental Commander of the 83rd. Field Post Number address 29(5?)86.

His Orders Book was our "B" number 568995

From pieces of the other pages, it looks like his last name was KATSURIN, and that he was Deputy Divisional Commander of the 246th Rifles Division, 1st Ukrainian Front for ?signals units.

Guest Rick Research

Well, that is SOME improvement, but the contrast is still too "white," making the spidery handwriting just disappear.

It's not a question of the LANGUAGE, but of the LEGIBILITY--

just LOOK at those.

If YOU can't tell even what the NUMBERS are, neither can I.

It needs darker scans from the original copies. Copies of the copies of the copies get fuzzier every time.

I wish we could get up a collection for GOOD photographic equipment for the Archives! :(

Okay rick try it now. Best I can get it.

Mother of God have mercy!!!!! :banger::banger::banger::banger:

These are so huge the only way I can see complete words is to go offline and SHRINK them down so they are visible on my monitor screen without scrolling like a seasick sailor lost at sea to get complete lines visible at one time.

The contrast on these is so bright the spidery handwriting is lost in the whiteness.

Just ABANDON this thread and try again with darker scans that are visible with one page viewable in its entirety on screen.

All I can get from the 1st page =

Vasily Ivanovich Ka....in Guards Lieutenant Colonel, born 21 February 1908 in the village of Avratin..... Member CPSU since 1930, higher education, Ukrainian, in Red Army since 15 September 1927. "Then" was Deputy (if I am reading this right) Divisional Commander of 246th Rifles Division. "Now" 83rd Guards Mechanized (cannot read huge and too thin/white) Regiment of (same problem) Division, Regimental Commander. Current address Field Post # 29(>)86.

Guest Rick Research

NOW you've got it!!!! :jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping:

OK, back to look at the New And Improved Replaced scans!!!!!! :beer:

Guest Rick Research

1st scan, front of Awards Record Card =

Held Orders Book number B 568995

Katsurin, Vasily Ivanovich

Guards Colonel

born 21 February 1908 in the village of Avratin, Bazalyskaya Raion, Kamentets-Podal'skaya Oblast.

Member CPSU since 1930, middle education, Ukrainian. In Red Army since 15 September 1927.

Unit and position when decorated= Deputy Divisional Commander, 246th Rifles Division

Unit and position now= Regimental Commander, 83rd Guards Mechanized Regiment, 26th Guards Mechanized Division, Field Post # 29586.

2nd scan, reverse of the ARC =

(it was filled out on 20 December 1946)

ORB 34,356 on 17.7.42 per decree of the Kalinin Front

ORB "2" 1,886 on 30.10.42 per decree of the Western Front

(and now we slide over 2 1/2 years.... hmmm!!!!!!!)

OPW 1st Class 179,890 on 7.4.45 per decree of the 1st Ukrainian Front

Bogdan Khmel'nitsky 3rd Class on 3.6.45 per decree of the 4th Ukrainian Front

ORS 1,961,284 on 3.11.44 for (and so noted) long service (ERROR number is WRONG, must be 961,284!!!!!!!!!!)Victory Over Germany Medal (entered twice--handwritten here and stamped below)

ORB "3" 1,727 per Ukaz 6.11.47 (long service)

Lenin 216,811 per Ukaz 20.4.53 (long service)

Victory Medal stamped again, and 1948 Armed Forces Jubilee Medal.

Scan #3 confirms name, date and place of birh, and is specific to the bestowal of that OPw1 on 7.4.45. All that it adds was that he was Deputy Divisional Xommande rof the 246th Rifles Division "for 's'/units" which I believe indicates SIGNALS but could as well be used here for RIFLES or ???? I have only seen the suffix like this, as in ranks "Captain of a/s" for technical and support troops, but maybe this is something else as shown here since it doesn';t say that on the main Awards Record Card.

4th page I'm afraid is still beyond my poor old TIRED eyes. Under "other remarks," it has "Colonel Katsurin, Vasily Ivanovich in 1932 ..... as ..... ..... ..... of ..... Raion, in ..... ...... ......... ............