News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I found this tab... does anyone have any idea what it could be? It is with a lot of original tabs that are IMHO, unquestionable. Could it be... the long sought out vet tab? It is piped like OCS tabs I have seen in the past. Please, any thoughts, insight, or comments are encouraged!

Guest Rick Research

Dingy silver, looks like to me. Isn't that the indication of an Officer Candidate tab?

Here is documentation that relects that the waffenfarbe was used for Veterinarian(EMs and NCOs). This information comes from Vol 2 of Angolia's Uniforms and Traditions of the Luftwaffe.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just received the tab today. The seller was kind enough to send them to me before I paid to determine whether I liked them or not.

As we can see, it is definately carmine. I have the tab next to a Luftwaffe General Staff officer tab for comparison.

The thing I do not like about it so far is the piping. It does not seem to be the standard style.

I do like the feel, look, and smell of it as a whole. I know that black lights are not to be used exclusively to determine authenticity, yet I will hit the tab with the light when I get home. I will try my best to photograph it and post the photo.

Hi Paul,

Remember that it is acceptable for some colors to glow/turn different shades. For example pink Luft engineer tabs turn an orangish color under the UV light and this is perfectly ok. I am not sure how the crimson would react to UV since I dont have any. If you are comfortable with the originality of the Gen Staff board than I would blacklight botht the tab and board at the same time to see how they react. They should react the same based on theyour pictures. Again this is no guarnatee since the GS boards might have used a different type of dye, but would be a good sign if they did "glow" the same.

Just a suggestion.

Gary B

The thing I do not like about it so far is the piping. It does not seem to be the standard style.

I do like the feel, look, and smell of it as a whole. I know that black lights are not to be used exclusively to determine authenticity, yet I will hit the tab with the light when I get home. I will try my best to photograph it and post the photo.

Hi!

Gary,

I did hit the tab with a black light and the tab did glow with an orangish tint... which is OK. The piping underlay/base thread seems to glow a little(blueish tint). Despite this, I am not turned off as some things(especially some threads) did glow. The General Staff board did not glow at all. However, some of my engineer board did glow.

Larry,

Here are some close ups of the piping. Notice the black threads... It seems that it was removed from a tunic.

Hi Paul,

Hmmm, not sure what to say. All appears good. The piping looks a little unusual. I assume it is silver? One thing you could do is to remove one of the threads which appear to have held the tab to a uniform and see if it is nylon with the burn test. I used this method once on a medal bar and it was quitehelpful.

Gary

Hi!

Gary,

I did hit the tab with a black light and the tab did glow with an orangish tint... which is OK. The piping underlay/base thread seems to glow a little(blueish tint). Despite this, I am not turned off as some things(especially some threads) did glow. The General Staff board did not glow at all. However, some of my engineer board did glow.

Larry,

Here are some close ups of the piping. Notice the black threads... It seems that it was removed from a tunic.

Actually looking at the piping a little closer, and comparing it with some of my metallic piping, it seems to be Ok to me. I think what you are seeing is the seperation of the mettalic thread, and the filler inside

Thanks for posting the comparative photos. They do look like a perfect match. Do the filler strands glow under your black light?

Hi Gary,

As far as I know, Nylon will always glow. These threads do not glow at all.

Regards

Paul

As for the internal threads of the piping, I recall that Garth stated on one of his postings awhile back that he believed they should not glow.

It does look like a good tabs and I can not think of a reson anyone would fake one tab such as this.

Gary B

Thanks for posting the comparative photos. They do look like a perfect match. Do the filler strands glow under your black light?

Hi Gary,

As far as I know, Nylon will always glow. These threads do not glow at all.

Regards

Paul