News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all,

This is one that Rick (mucho thanks!) told me "may", "possibly" be able to be identified re: the original recipient (gulp, gasp, spitter, sput! ;):o:speechless1::unsure::rolleyes: )

I dare hardly believe that this might be possible. And if, by some cosmic miracle the good Lord sees fit to allow it... I think if I actually did receive an ID on this, plus (dare I even think it) a picture of the recipient and perhaps some bio... and (GASP!) a picture of him wearing this bar... I feel I might keel over on the spot!

Here is his comment on it:

"Navy, probably 1920s from the eccentric precedence. POSSIBLY traceable, though it could be a warrant officer's "invisible" bar rather than an officers. Worth posting fr possible ID."

Soooooo... :rolleyes: if anybody out there might, possibly, maybe, please, please (on my knees at this point) consider doing whatever magic ya'll (yes, that's my southerness showing) do and perhaps, if all the planets and stars are aligned can come up with something for me I'd be forever grateful! You would literally make my year... perhaps several! :D

So without further ado... here she is:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Will be pacing the floors and keeping my fingers ever so tightly crossed!

Thanks! :cheers:

Dan

Guest Rick Research

Dark blue backing and "coastal" origin with the Bremen and China.

I find a possible suspect in torpedo ordnance technical officer Julius DRIELING, born 12 September 1870, alive 1930. Imperial navy 1 April 1888 to 8 March 1920

Obertorpeder 1.4.01 in Minen-Depot Geestem?nde 1905

Torpeder-Leutnant 27.10.06. In Reichsmarine Amt Dezernat f?r Minen- und Sperrwesen '08

Torpeder-Oberleutnant

Torpeder-Kapit?nleutnant 22.3.14.

charakterisiert Torpeder-Kapit?n ausser Dienst 8.4.20 (= Korvettenkapit?n)

Minen-Depot Geestem?nde 1914 and to May 1916 as Revier-Offizier

Minen-Depot Friedrichsort as II. Verwaltungs Mitglied to May 1918 and

Minen-Depot Cuxhaven then to end of war

He had held the old model XV years service brooch before being commissioned, which indicated some sort of service outside home waters while he was a torpedo warrant officer candidate, updated to the XXV before the war. He would of course have had the 1897 Centenary Medal.

The China Medal is unknowable unless somebody has the 1900 and 1901 Navy rank Lists and we can pinpoint him afloat OFF China for a bronze-- though he could just as easily have received a steel as a stay at home.

The February 1918 Navy Rank List shows him with a "combatant" type EK2 (which of course would have been a NONcombatant on the "black white" ribbon since he never served at the front) and the Bremen Hanseatic Cross.

The bar might also have been held by a career warrant officer who remains "invisible" as a junior petty officer at the time of the Boxer Rebellion.

The 1897 and long service are revresed on this bar, which is why I think it might be 1920s rather than wartime--though the construction could be either (pin etc). The China would have followed the long service but been ahead of the 1897 per Imperial precedence--whether it was a bronze or steel campaign medal.

...are ribbon bars now gender specific? ;) If so, how does one tell...? Allow RR to work his particular brand of magic...

Hi Bob,

Actually I figured "navy"... ships are she/her... navy ribbon bar... :rolleyes: so what they hey! :cheers:

And actually Rick requested I post it. Vas just followink orders! (sound of heals clicking together! :lol: ) :rolleyes:

Looks like he's got the gears rolling... I'm definitely on the edge of my seat with suspense!!!! :speechless1::jumping: Continuing to keep my fingers tightly crossed!

Thanks! :cheers:

Dan

Dark blue backing and "coastal" origin with the bRemen and China.

I find a possible suspect in torpedo ordnance technical officer Julius DRIELING, born 12 September 1870, alive 1930. Imperial navy 1 April 1888 to 8 March 1920

Obertorpeder 1.4.01 in Minen-Depot Geestem?nde 1905

Torpeder-Leutnant 27.10.06. In Reichsmarine Amt Dezernat f?r Minen- und Sperrwesen '08

Torpeder-Oberleutnant

Torpeder-Kapit?nleutnant 22.3.14.

charakterisiert Torpeder-Kapit?n ausser Dienst 8.4.20 (= Korvettenkapit?n)

Minen-Depot Geestem?nde 1914 and to May 1916 as Revier-Offizier

Minen-Depot Friedrichsort as II. Verwaltungs Mitglied to May 1918 and

Minen-Depot Cuxhaven then to end of war

He had held the old model XV years service brooch before being commissioned, which indicated some sort of service outside home waters while he was a torpedo warrant officer candidate, updated to the XXV before the war. He would of course have had the 1897 Centenary Medal.

The China Medal is unknowable unless somebody has the 1900 and 1901 Navy rank Lists and we can pinpoint him afloat OFF China for a bronze-- though he could just as easily have received a steel as a stay at home.

The February 1918 Navy Rank List shows him with a "combatant" type EK2 (which of course would have been a NONcombatant on the "black white" ribbon since he never served at the front) and the Bremen Hanseatic Cross.

The bar might also have been held by a career warrant officer who remains "invisible" as a junior petty officer at the time of the Boxer Rebellion.

The 1897 and long service are revresed on this bar, which is why I think it might be 1920s rather than wartime--though the construction could be either (pin etc). The China would have followed the long service but been ahead of the 1897 per Imperial precedence--whether it was a bronze or steel campaign medal.

Rick... you never cease to amaze me! I know nothing is in stone and will remain on the edge of my seat... fingers tightly crossed! But you are just astounding! :beer:

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

I check ed my 1901 Navy RL and I find 1 Drieling with the FW3 medal who was stationed on the Otter wehcih I think is a river gun boat. Hope this help. According to the attached article the SMS Otter was in China waters prior to WWI.

http://www.feldgrau.com/articles.php?ID=11

Hi Paul,

WOW :jumping::jumping: ... keeps getting better and better. :jumping::jumping: Many thanks for posting that! Again I know nothing is definite yet but if this turns out to be him I'll be an extremely happy camper! :D

Thanks so much, :cheers:

Dan

Guest Rick Research

Thanks Paul. The FIRST "Otter" (1878) was indeed intended for China service as a river gun boat, but actually was used as a torpedo training vessel in Germany. The SECOND "Otter" (1910) served in China.

Hi all,

Just found this flask from http://www.garykirsnerauctions.com/auct2203/220343.htm

Regimental flask, .25L, porcelain, Dienstzeit in China an Bord S.M.S. Otter, 1909-1912, named to: Res. Kann, rare boat, mint (900-1200)

IPB Image

And the old girl in person :jumping::jumping: :

http://www.deutsche-schutzgebiete.de/sms_o...kanonenboot.htm

IPB Image

1909 - Served on Yangtze. Sold? Disarmed? in Nanking (Shanghai?) at outbreak of WWI (probably in an attempt to shield her from capture) but seized by Chinese on 3/20/1917. Renamed Li Chieh in 1917. Ended Chinese service in 1932.

Dan :cheers:

Guest Rick Research

Yes but that's the SECOND "Otter" and Our Chief Suspect served on the FIRST one.

Yes but that's the SECOND "Otter" and Our Chief Suspect served on the FIRST one.

Hi Rick,

I know. :( So far I can't find any pics, etc. on the first one. They may be out there but so far no luck.

Hopefully someone will have better luck than I'm having on that.

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan