News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Postie has been again!

Hello Gents,

Looky here!

Postie has brought me a Nice unmarked Vaulted EK1 Just yummy!

And with this lot i got this also...an unusual item..

A 1914 EKII painted with white enamel around the frame...its definately a three peice costruction with a core that rattles... and its not been painted recently...and it is not marked on either ring....

Has anyone ever seen anything like this??

I am tempted to clean it off...but i wanted to find ouot if there was a reason behind this being done...before i did this...just in case i am doing the wrong thing....

Pics to follow!

Cheers

Paul

Call me a philistine, but I actually rather like the look of that enamelled frame!

Technically of course, it's ruined - but considering the miniscule price of a 1914 ek2, I'd be tempted to leave it just as it is....

Nice score Paul.

Marshall

Edited by Biro

LOVR the EK 1 with its vault and especially

the hinge/pin arrangement!

does anyone know the manufacture dates

for this style of hinge/pin? they are similar

to the Schinkel style early '39's. do they date

to 1914-18, or are they between the war era??

somebody got into l'il sis' fingernail polish....

while the ek2's are still relatively cheap, i paid

$10 for my first. you could buy BUNCHES of

them for under $100. now your lucky to get 2 nice ones...

great EK's!

joe

I bought a 1950's biker jacket once for $50, just to get the EK2 hanging from the zipper on one of the pockets. :o That is what your EK2 reminds me of, a biker or surfer painted piece. Underneath it appear to be a nice cross, so I would probably strip it and put it back like it should be. It has a remarkable amount of core finish remaining. But to each his own. Your vaulted piece is very nice as well, for some reason I like that hinge set up. It just looks so late war or depression period to me.

Dan Murphy

Paul,

I have an EKI with the same set up which is non magnetic. I was told it was more than likely made in the 20s.

That EKII looks great, it's different so I'd leave it as it is. I'd convince myself that the original owner painted the frame making it appear brighter on those old black & white photos.

Tony

Thanks for the kind comments on the EK1 Gents! :)

It is magnetic in the center...

Tony, hmmm, you may have a point there...maybe this was the intended purpose of painting it this way...it certainly looks like it was done a long time ago...

And as Marshall mentioned before...these are soo cheap...may as well leave it...

Cheers,

Paul

( if it had a rare MM i'd be tempted to clean it)