News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I'm hoping the medal experts can help me out here, as I'm a dagger/sword collector, so this is way out of my depth... I posted to the TR Medal Forum and got some good direction from a member there who suggested I post here as the pic shows this Officer with Imperial medals...

I recently bought a Luftwaffe named dedication sword to Hauptman H Ehrich. After researching with the Budesarchiv I managed to locate his personal file, with a pic of him as well!

Hauptman Hans Ehrich. Born 1896 in Lutter am Barenberge, near Braunschweig. He later lived at Magdeburg. During WW I, he served from winter 1915 in Poland and Russia, later in Serbia, then in France from 1916, and at Verdun and at the Somme. From 1936 he did military training and was reactivated August 1939 as Captain. He then served as a Battery Commander in a Flak-Artillery Unit and was promoted to Major late in 1942. In 41/42 he also received:

Spang.zum.EK.2.K1 - 12/05/41

KVK.1.K1.m/schw. - 15/01/42

His photo shows him wearing a couple of breast medals a 4 place medal bar which were obviously from WW1, as the pic is from 1938. Any ideas as to what he is wearing???

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated as I'm trying to piece as much as I can together on Major Ehrich and which awards he received during WW1. His sword is a superb centre-piece, and I would like to try and assemble his set of medals if possible for display.

Hi Redbaron,

The ribbon bar looks like

1) Preussen, Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse 1914 (Iron Cross 2nd class)

2) Braunschweig, Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2. Klasse (War Merit Cross 2nd class)

3) Deutsches Reich 1933-45, Ehrenkreuz f?r Frontk?mpfer (Hindenburg Cross for Combattants)

4) ?sterreich-Hungarn Kaiserreich, Milit?rverdienstkreuz 3. Klasse (Austrian-Hungarian Empire, Military Merit Cross 3rd class)

See below how the ribbon bar should have looked in colors.

On his Uniform Pockets he wears the Iron Cross 1st class and the War Merit Cross 1st of the Duchy of Brunswick (Braunschweig).

Ciao,

Claudio

Guest Rick Research

I believe you're right Jens-- you get the Astronomer's Award this week for best discovery of a distant blurry object! :beer:

It must be a small version like the one on top here:

[attachmentid=41431]

the dark gray is lost in the dark blue of the fuzzy photo, but there is JUST the sensation of 3-D something in there. As a native Brunswicker and holder of the 1st Class, ge;d be a natural for this 2 years at the front device.

Wow, you guys are incredible, never thought ANYBODY could pick out details like that from such a poor photo, THANKS!!!

Now the next quest is to try and find ribbon bars and medals to accompany his sword, any ideas as to who may have these for sale?

Again, thanks, I can honestly say I could not have done this without you...

Red

BTW, after your ID of the medal bars, I scanned through his personal file and found what may be his medal list as it seems to tie in with what you guys ID'd. I couldn't pick it up before as it's all in German!!! Looks like you were spot on from what I can make out...

Best, Red

Guest Rick Research

That confirms both classes of Iron Cross and Brunswick Ernst August Cross (doesn't mention the device, though), the Austrian MMCwWD, Hindenburg Cross X and 1918 Black Wound Badge.

Thanks guys!

Cladio, what would the ribbon bar look like with his TR awards:

Spang.zum.EK.2.K1 - 12/05/41

KVK.1.K1.m/schw. - 15/01/42

Would they be to the left or right of the ones shown? or would the spang be on the EK2 ribbon?

Cheers, Red

Hi Red,

The first class 1939 clasp would have been worn, like the KVK (War Merit Cross) 1. Kl., on the pocket. There was no ribbon for the 1st classes decorations. Since you couldn't have been awarded the 1st class without having being awarded with the 2nd classes, he surely got also the 2nd classes of the KVK and the EK on his ribbon bar or first button hole of an open collar LW tunic.

The ribbon bar could have looked like the example here below.

Ciao,

Claudio

Edited by Claudio