News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Prinzen EK2, 1914 - Opinions Please!

Hi Everyone,

I realise these aren't the best pics (a little small) but I would be grateful for your opinions on this Prinzen EK2.

Based on the photos (I don't have it in hand yet), it doesn't appear to have a stepped core, or the worrying paint pattern to the core (as detailed by Marshall in another thread).

The detailing does look to be pretty strong / sharp.

Any thoughts?

Thanks and all the best,

Toby.

Toby,

Looks good. I like it. I want to say it's a match to my prinzen that I got from Bill Hamelmann many years ago. I just can't make out some details to be sure.

A couple of questions.

* Is the core 'blued ' steel instead of a painted one?

* Does the crown on the front have small beads on the inside of the crown sweat band?

Thanks!

Tony

Tony J has asked me to post his 1914 prinzen, so here it is...

I would agree Tony J and Toby R have the same type of prinzens.

Here's Tony's... also on an Austrian trifold ribbon, but cropped to show more detail.

M

[attachmentid=41634]

Edited by Biro

Thanks to you all for taking a look at this. I'm presently negotiating to buy it so don't have it in hand at the moment.

Once I have it (assuming successful), I'll post some better images.

All the best,

Toby.

Thanks Marshall!

It's interesting that both are with the Austrain fold ribbon. I was once told that these blued steel prinzen EKs were made by Rothe. I don't know this for sure. Maybe someone here knows.

Looking forward to Toby's better pics.

Tony

Thanks Marshall!

It's interesting that both are with the Austrain fold ribbon. I was once told that these blued steel prinzen EKs were made by Rothe. I don't know this for sure. Maybe someone here knows.

Looking forward to Toby's better pics.

Tony

I'm still looking for proof of any I.C. made by Rothe! If you know of one, please let me know.

I'm still looking for proof of any I.C. made by Rothe! If you know of one, please let me know.

Andreas Thies sold a prinzen EK2 by Rothe in the original case, with the manufacturer's gold stamp in the case lid, in his December 2002 auction. The sale included EKs (among other things) from the Vern Bowen collection and from the collection of the late BDOS President Willi Waldwogel. You can see the rather large (4 MB) PDF file here, but the photos are very grainy:

http://www.andreas-thies.de/pdf/herbst02/A..._2002_Teil2.pdf

The Rothe prinzen EK is lot 206. You may still be able to buy a copy of this catalog.

Tim

Andreas Thies sold a prinzen EK2 by Rothe in the original case, with the manufacturer's gold stamp in the case lid, in his December 2002 auction. The sale included EKs (among other things) from the Vern Bowen collection and from the collection of the late BDOS President Willi Waldwogel. You can see the rather large (4 MB) PDF file here, but the photos are very grainy:

http://www.andreas-thies.de/pdf/herbst02/A..._2002_Teil2.pdf

The Rothe prinzen EK is lot 206. You may still be able to buy a copy of this catalog.

Tim

Whoa Nellie! That was a big fuzzy file. Eyes still hurting. What an incredible group of I.C.'s for sale. Beautiful Imperial medals. This was the same type of case for a second class that was in Privetera's book. I wonder if it was the same one, and if the cross was marked? I've never seen (in person) a Rothe & Neffe cross. It has long been my belief that they may have made cases for I.C.'s or something to that extent for I.C.'s. I hope others that may know something more chime in. The hunt for a Rothe & Neffe has been like the hunt for the Holy Grail for me. I hope they exist, but I have my doubts, I would love to see a "cross" from Rothe & Neffe. Maybe that was one! The hunt continues! Thanks a ton, Tim.

Thanks for the link Tim.

Though the pics are a little fuzzy, the Rothe & Neffe prinzen shown in the auction catalog and those posted here look to be the same.

Maybe old Bill Hamelmann knows a thing or two about EKs afterall. ;>)

Tony

Edited by Tony J

• 2 weeks later...