News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I know some of the ribbon but others I don't. The third ribbon from the left one expecially lost on. Whould some be so kind as to id the ribbons?

Edited by Paul C

Paul,

Iron Cross 2nd Class, Hessian medal for bravery or merit, Baden long service ,Kyffhauser Bund medal with swords, unknown for now, Flanders Cross. Since there is no other Baden decoration, The long service ribbon could have wrongly been used to represent a couple other awards with similar ribbons.

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Could the third ribbon from the left be the Finnish Medal for Bravery (Tapferkeit) in Fighting the Soviets in 1939? Here is a picture.

Edited by Paul C

Could the third ribbon from the left be the Finnish Medal for Bravery (Tapferkeit) in Fighting the Soviets in 1939?

Not without an Honor Cross c. '34 or later. This looks like the type of bar where the ribbons are attached with bent prongs. Is there any indication it has had the ribbons changed? Can you show the back?

Dan Murphy

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Guest Rick Research

Paul: it's possible that the Finnish medal got a "close enough" use of the Baden long service ribbon-- the same ribbon has been used for Finnish Medals Of Liberty 2nd Class since 1918, so it could be one of those.

Sorry, but that is a made up bar. :speechless1: Look at the prongs on the back, some are bright and some are grey. The ribbons, therefore, have come from at least two ribbon bars. The scratches on the back of the bar near the prongs were made when the ribbons were changed around. . If you have bid, I sugest you retract it. :angry:

Dan Murphy

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Guest Rick Research

No worries.

[attachmentid=42014]

That is entirely natural wear on the field gray painted leftover WW1 stock. The tabs wear because they are the most 3-D, and the flat backings often scratch this way from natural wear and age on the paint finish.

It's not pretty, but the paint-coated ones have lasted a lot better than the bright nickle flashed ones which came after this type-- and actually accelerated rust rather than inhibited it.

Here's a particularly good example of the same normal wear on a pair of Feldgrau painted Anhalt ribbon bars I did for Evil Ricky 3 1/2 years ago:

[attachmentid=42015]

Price aside, an interesting bar for the unusual 1920s veterans combination and not one I see any problems with.