News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Engraved "KO" 1st Class EK

[attachmentid=42630]I purchased this cross a while back from one of the major, reputable German dealers.

Engraving on reverse -

"Hauptmann Graebener"

AOKb

Since there is no unit listing... should I correctly assume there is likely "slim to no chance" on finding out more info about this Hauptmann? I welcome member comments and suggestions... thanks! Dan

Hi Dan,

The unit may actually be the AOK6 (not b?) but I'm not up on Imperial Army abbreviations.

I have to say though that there appears to be no patina in the engraving whereas the KO stamping is black with age. Makes me wonder when the engraving was applied.

Regards

Mike

[attachmentid=42647]

Thanks Mike..

I'll have to find some comparison engravings. Yest, I wondered about the patina.

I mean, the piece has definitely been cleaned .... not sure how to proove when a cross has been

engraved, other than to compare to other period pieces, and even then.... hmmmm....

Anyway, I have attached a photo from another angle which gives a better glimpse of that "b-6."

I am not smart on imperial abbreviations either...

Dan

Guest Rick Research

That is "A.O.K.6." for Armee Oberkommando 6. Armee.

I find no Graebener, active, reserve, Landwehr, army or marines. If he was an ancient recalled retired Landwehr type, that would be the only good explanation for NOT finding him at that rank. That would be precisely the sort of GHQ Captain I'd have expected to only be getting an EK1 for long and distingusihed lighting of cigarettes and shuffling of baggage in August 1918.

I wouldn't abandon all hope, but I don't see any suspects.

That is "A.O.K.6." for Armee Oberkommando 6. Armee.

I find no Graebener, active, reserve, Landwehr, army or marines. If he was an ancient recalled retired Landwehr type, that would be the only good explanation for NOT finding him at that rank. That would be precisely the sort of GHQ Captain I'd have expected to only be getting an EK1 for long and distingusihed lighting of cigarettes and shuffling of baggage in August 1918.

I wouldn't abandon all hope, but I don't see any suspects.

Uugh.... sad to know!

but THANKS Rick for the quick research summary and expert advice!!!

Dan

i'm having a bit of a hard time

with the difference in toning between the

inscription and the maker mark...

I have a tendency to agree. To a point. The engraving does appear to be in a period script and does have the same patina as the area of the cross where it was placed. (That is the most important thing).The patina also appears genuine. Perhaps it was just an old polishing that was not so thorough and did not remove the patina from the MM. Years later, the two will show a different degree of patina. One more thing, usually fake engraving will be to someone famous and tracable. Since this man is neither, there is a better chance it is real. Nice piece.

Dan Murphy

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Thanks fore the comments Joe and Dan!

Please see below item on German E-bay. I can't speak for the legitimacy of the engraving, but it appears to be an original "KO" first class currently for sale, that has reverse engraving with similar disparity in patina..

regards, Dan

Item #628480

http://cgi.ebay.de/EK-1-Klasse-1914-mit-Tr...mdZViewItem9474

The only suspect I have found and that concurs with Rick's assessment that this guy was getting on a bit was one Hauptmann der Landwehr a.D. Leopold Graebener of Landwehrbezirk Karlsruhe:

Hptm. 15.2.87

Pr.Lt. 8.6.78

Sek.Lt. 18.7.70

He retired from the Landwehr in 1896/1897

He is listed in the 1904/05 Ordensalmanach under the name Gr?benber as an Hofgarten-Direktor.

Regards

Glenn