News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A couple of WWI shells in our local museum collection

Hauptmann

And the bigger of the two:

[attachmentid=42921]

[attachmentid=42922]

[attachmentid=42923]

[attachmentid=42924]

Any additional info on these would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

The top one looks like a 37mm Hotchkiss.

The bottom one well, I don't know. The two grooves under the driving band seem to say German to me but it could just as well be French.

Jens will know but if he's not watching football he's probably stuck in the traffic.

Tony

And the bigger of the two:

[attachmentid=42921]

[attachmentid=42922]

[attachmentid=42923]

[attachmentid=42924]

Any additional info on these would be deeply appreciated.

Dan

Hello the larger shell is an american made 75mm shrapnel round .WW1 era

Hello the larger shell is an american made 75mm shrapnel round .WW1 era

Hi Spotter,

Many thanks for the info. Any ideas on value on either of these? I'm trying to give them as much info on everything I post as possible.

Dan

Im sorry i dont know much about valuing ordnance ,your best bet is to do a search on ebay for "inert" or "shell" under the militaria categorys and watch the prices for a few weeks then you should get some idea.........spotter

Im sorry i dont know much about valuing ordnance ,your best bet is to do a search on ebay for "inert" or "shell" under the militaria categorys and watch the prices for a few weeks then you should get some idea.........spotter

Hi Spotter,

No problem. Will do on checking Ebay and such. It's not a rush as I'm doing this as a volunteer project for them and they're not in any hurry. This stuff has sat there for many decades so far without anyone learning anything new. I hope I can change that. :D

And perhaps one of the other members will know. I believe we have one or two experts in the field. And I've got a few pieces of my own to pop on too over time.

Thanks! :cheers:

Dan

look forward to seing posts of your stuff,ill try find more info on the 75mm ,can you get a clearer picture of the fuze on the trenchart round,it could help id it.just noticed on the 37mm where the fuze fits its stamped DWM that will make it a german round.DWM = Deutsche Waffen und Munitionfabriken

Edited by spotter

look forward to seing posts of your stuff,ill try find more info on the 75mm ,can you get a clearer picture of the fuze on the trenchart round,it could help id it.just noticed on the 37mm where the fuze fits its stamped DWM that will make it a german round.DWM = Deutsche Waffen und Munitionfabriken

Hi Spotter,

Will definitely give it a shot on more pics. "Might" be able to at tonights meeting but generally weekends work out much better as not as many folks popping in and out and taking up time. Depending on my schedule I'll try to put in for sitting over there again if I can and if so those are the best times. But can probably sneak that one in tonight (knock on wood!).

I did one of my big shell and casing yesterday but ran out of time to post everything. And todays been pretty tight too. But hopefully by tomorrow if all works out if not sooner. I've also got a ton of other smaller pieces that I hope to do... shells, grenades, etc. but have to dig them out and get some pics. Rest of the week should be alot easier time wise so hoping to get much of this done soon. :beer:

Will send over more pics on the museum ones as soon as I can. Many thanks for the help! :D

Thanks! :cheers:

Dan

I think I am too late to help here. ;)

No football and no traffic jam, just one week on duty with the Bundeswehr including shooting this great baby here with a life round!

http://www.waffenhq.de/infanterie/panzerfaust3.html

Hi Jens,

I could certainly think of worse ways to spend the weekend then hunting for squirrels with that little jewel! :P:cheeky::lol::beer:

Dan :cheers: