News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of Simon Bolivar

Hi all,

Here's a piece I got years ago off Ebay. Think I paid all of $15 for it plus like $5 shipping. It was very cheap. Of course there's no comparing this to the old European Orders. But it seems to be the norm for many countries.

All in all it's a nice enough piece and very complete.

[attachmentid=43053]

[attachmentid=43054]

[attachmentid=43055]

[attachmentid=43056]

Thanks for looking, :cheers:

Dan

Thanks for sharing Don :beer: . I agree to your comparison regarding the reverse, but the obverse doesn't look too bad. I noticed in Werlich's book that there were several variations on this order and the two pictured had the face of Bolivar facing to the right and also different in design. The order pictured below is of a third design, facing to the left. Are the variations mentioned by Werlich related to this difference in the heads and can the date of issue also be detemined by this?

KR

Peter

Thanks for sharing Don :beer: . I agree to your comparison regarding the reverse, but the obverse doesn't look too bad. I noticed in Werlich's book that there were several variations on this order and the two pictured had the face of Bolivar facing to the right and also different in design. The order pictured below is of a third design, facing to the left. Are the variations mentioned by Werlich related to this difference in the heads and can the date of issue also be detemined by this?

KR

Peter

Hi Peter,

Oh, it's a beautiful piece... but much thinner than I'm used to with old world European quality. I put my Romanian Order of the Crown star by this one and it's like the difference between night and day. Thinner, cheaper, lack of good enamels, lack of a good heavy solid pin, etc.

The manufacturers lost their way. The old skills are nearly if not completely gone. No one wants to go to the expense they once did. I look at my Order of the Griffin and could almost cry when I look back at this one. Sigh. But it's like nearly everything else anymore... throwaway technology, planned obsolescense... you name it. They used to build things to last. :(

As far as variations and such I'm probably in a worse boat than you are as I know next to nothing of these. ;) This was one of those "It's pretty, it's cheap, I can afford it, I'll grab it." kind of deals. But I'd love to know more. Hopefully more members will comment over time and we'll all learn more. I'd also love to see more examples. Many thanks for posting yours. I know the neck Orders and sash badges turn up on Ebay on occassion. Hoping I'll find those cheap at some point to go with my star.

Thanks! :cheers:

Dan

• 4 years later...