News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Red Star

Trying to figure out all the oddities of the Order of the Red Star used to give me headaches for ages until I finally landed copies of the original statutes as well as the text of one of the decrees modifying it. Why am I seeing silver plated ones on ribbons for the first class? Why are the few various English language books on the subject saying there's only one class and other surces saying there are three and a medal? What gives? Well, turns out that Werlich and Hieronymussen were incorrect on their statement that the order was created in 1945 as a military decoration. It was actually established in 1952 as a decoration for civil and military service not necessarily derived from WW II service. When first established, it was awarded in one class only - the silver plated one on a red ribbon with one broad silver stripe. When the honors system was completely overhauled on January 18, 1965, the order was subsequently split into 3 classes and the Medal of the Red Star was also added. I have a cased example of the first type (pre-1965) and also a 1st class one. Indeed, the lower classes of the later type are rather hard to come by (as if Albanian decorations period were easy to find :P )

Cheers,

Eric

• 2 months later...

And here's another variety that I carried as "unreported - possibly not produced": this is a second class Red Start, type 1 var 2 with the later small suspension. What's interesting about this is that the manufacture is completely unlike the earlier Pr?wema made examples above. Note that the badge is a lot shinier and it is in far, far lower relief. It also is not nearly as well made, placing this as a 1980s Albanian made example.

Always great to get confirmation on a new variety...

• 2 months later...

Here's then - after a long hard search! - an Order of the Red Star 1st class in virtually perfectly new condition.

Also note the interesting difference in attachment of the pin on the reverse of ribbon.

What still intrigues me is whether these higher classes (also for other awards) were awarded much like the Glory of the Soviet awards (i.e. second time you do something good you get second class, third time first class, etc.) or whether it's an estimation of the "merit" of your deed and you can get a first class right away?

• 8 years later...