News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of Mother Heroine

Another decoration with a fairly interesting story to tell. When this was first established, the requirement to win it was to have given birth, raised and educated a minimum of 10 children, the youngest of whom must have reached 1 year old. However, so few people qualified for this award as that in the late 1970's, the requirement was downgraded to 8 children, the Motherhood Medals were abolished and the Order of Motherhood Glory was downgraded as well. Most of the Mother Heroine badges seen are the Albanian made versions because of this. This particular one is an Albanian made one.

Cheers,

Eric

I've seen ones made by Pr?wema from the late 1950s and 1960s. They will have a ring at the top that is separately applied to the silver rayed base rather than the integral ring on the later Albanian ones. Another tip off is the pin assembly. If you see a pin secured to the base by means of a metal tube, it's Albanian made. Pr?wema ones the pin is directly attached to the base and looks a bit different. Also, Pr?wema ones were better quality - the factory in Tiran? was not exactly known for quality.

• 4 months later...

Here then pics of a higher quality version. The differences are very clear:

- in general, much sharper defined lines / finishing

- lighter colored red enamel

- ring seperately attached to main piece

- different pin attachment

- etc.

Hi Bob:

That's a great example of a Pr?wema "N?n? Heroine" badge. Is that one in your collection now?

Cheers,

Eric

Yep. I was lucky to spot this variant on eBay where i bought it (to sellers: providing quality pictures makes it easier for buyers!) :beer:

• 8 years later...
    • 6 years later...
    • 1 year later...