News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Greetings all;

Stogieman will know what I am talking about but for the rest of you, what is a Prussian Front? Where did the phrase come from and what service was it popular in? Hint: it has to do with perceived values.

Wasn't it from the Prussian habit of wearing only the EK2 ribbon in the button hole and the EK1 on the pocket and omitting all other orders and medals?

Actually, I have heard this referred to as a "Black and white front". I believe a "Prussian Front" was similar but with a medal bar including only the recipients Prussian awards. I think Brian von Etzel should respond to this because his grandfather had two medal bars. One with Prussian awards and one with his Prussian and other states awards. I don't know which one would be worn under which circumstances, but someone else may be able to help with that. It probably was done since if you were a Prussian, you valued those awards more than ones given by other states or duchies.

Dan Murphy

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Guest Brian von Etzel

Hi Dan, NOT a Prussian front;

NOT

YES a Prussian front;

YES

:blush: Lots of black, white, black, Prussian blue and yellow.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all;

As I expected, some great responses. The reason that most Airmen wore Prussian fronts is because they were considered the awards that meant something socially. So it was the practice of many higher ranking aces (in the lists) to wear only the Prussian awards when being photographed. In other instances the Prussian awards ribbons were first inline on the awards bars.

Edited by StephenLawson