News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello all,

Just picked up a couple more ribbon bars, so I thought I would post them and any further bars I get on this thread. First we have one with a ww1 ek2, an unknown Bavarian (King Ludwig Cross?) medal, Hindenburg combatants, KVK non-combatants, and a Luftschutz. Looks like this soldier was out of the army after ww1 and into the luftschutzbund during ww2. A nice little set, and any help with ID'ing the Bavarian ribbon is great!

Thanks,

Pat

Here is the next one, with the KVK2 combatants, Ostmedaille, and 4 year Wehrmacht Long Service medal ribbons. Highly common, but I like it as I just need a 4-year medal to complete the set of full-size and ribbon bar. Both of these ribbon bars are magnetic. Hope you enjoy!

Cheers,

Pat

Hi Pat,

I hope that I am wrong, but I think that the first bar could be a post war bar made from original parts.(I hope that I am incorrect). My reasoning for this order in which the ribbons are mounted. IMHO, no one would have ever placed the HK before a KVK2. I also do not like the back of the bar, the way the backing material is applied. I hope that someone with more experience in ribbon bars can prove me wrong.

The second bar looks great to me.

Regards

Paul

On the first bar, maybe because the HK is a combatants and the KVK 2 is non-combatants could be a reason for it coming first. All the ribbons do not glow and it could be made post war with original parts, but if anyone can help us out on this one that would be great.

Thanks,

Pat

• 3 weeks later...

Bar one: Second Ribbon is the W?rttemburg Friedrich's Order. I see no obvious problem with the bar. The stitching pattern, especially the stitching of the short sides is NOT consistent with the currently known fakers' work flooding the market. Always possible it's a new faker, but my gut-call would be it's OK.

Hi again,

I got it from a very good dealer who I have had no problems with after many purchases, and he said he has had them for over 20 years, and I believe him. So it is probably not a new faker, and I am fairly certain it is a good one. I wonder if Rick Research can track who wore this one down!

Thanks gents,

Pat

• 1 month later...

Hello gents,

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or links for tracking down the owners of ribbon bars. I am interested in possibly tracking down the first bar I posted (with the Bavarian w/swords and the Luftschutz) and any help by the Ricks or anyone else is really appreciated as I love finding out everything I can about a piece so one day I can set up a museum or something with full pics and stories to go with the pieces (my dream!).

Cheers,

Pat

Just a thought/question about bars and their making.

If you had a really nice ribbon bar and recieved a new decoration would you extend the existing one or keep the old and buy a new complete one? I just wondered as I was looking at these.

How about if a bar is made up post war for a vet out of old stock but genuine items. I assume the value is lesser even though the items are genuine. Just thinking about this because of a couple of Brit medals I bought recently, 1908 India General Service medals, nicely named etc, but with new ribbons. I don't think I could have haggled the price down because the ribbon was new. I have seen loads of bars in museums where the ribbons are replaced because they have been rubbed, dirty or worn. Is this important or is the medal hanging from it the actual important thing.

I don't devalue a friends DFC group because it has new ribbons.

Regards

Matt Gibbs

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting thoughts Matt,

I personally would place a higher value on original ribbon and would much rather have a dirty old original ribbon than a shiny newer made one. I guess some people are just more into the "aura" (sorry to get all hippy on you :P ) of having an all period "been there" piece rather than it being in mint shape with some replacement ribbon.

Here are some ribbon bar devices ((the smallest size, all are between 7mm (eagles) and 12mm (spange) tall)) I received from my grandfather last weekend from his personal souvenirs of the war. I will try to correctly ID them and if I make an error, please feel free to correct me. Starting with the top left corner I think this is a device for the Polizei Long Service award, but I am not sure on the class. It is magnetic and silvered.

The next device directly below the Polizei is what I think is the Luftwaffe Service Medal 3rd class for 12 years service (Dienstauszeichnungen Luftwaffe). It is also magnetic and gilted.

The ribbon bar device next to the LW in gold is the EK2 spange in tombak I believe as it is non-magnetic. Only slight silvering remains.

Next to the right of the spange is the Luftwaffe Service Medal 4th class for 4 years service I believe, magnetic and silvered.

Directly below the LW service 4th class is the Dienstauszeichnungen for 40 years service, also magnetic and gilted in excellent shape.

The bottom left corner has a Heer/Marine Service Medal ribbon device for an unknown amount and it is non-magnetic and gilt.

And finally the bottom right corner has the Heer/Marine Service Medal device for the 4th class level for 4 years service. This one is magnetic and has some corrosion.

Any further clarification of these devices is extremely welcome and thanks for looking. I will post some close ups for further ID purposes.

Cheers,

Pat