News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Guys,

Just got aroung to scanning pics of my latest acquisition. I waited VERY patiently to find one in this condition and luckily it paid off. My thanks go out to skip on WAF for this extremely well finished example! I hope you fellas enjoy taking a peek at it!

ERIC :jumping:

[attachmentid=45199]

Extremely nice example, Eric!! Probably didn't cost you an arm and a leg either.

That wreath is in exceptionally fine condition too...I just love the chunkiness of OM!!

Congrats!!

Steve

Thanks Steve. Actually you're correct, I paid a very reasonable amount for this example. Yep, chunky alright, coming in at 43.5 grams!

ERIC ;)

Hello isonzo,

Yes, of course I remember you and that badge!! Welcome here my friend! Your example is still A++++ in my book, and I would still appreciate you thinking of me when the time comes to part with it! Thanks for the compliment toward my new one as well!! These OM's are really the flagship (along with GWL!) when it comes to the Pilots Badge IMO!!

Best,

ERIC

Well done, Eric! I know how hard these are to find.

Man, you need to get those photos sorted!!

Rich

Thanks Rich - yeah I know the photos aren't coming out right!! I can't seem to get the right coloration/clarity lately! My 'tube is on its way out and I'm in desparate need of another :speechless:

ERIC

PS - Are the pics too light or too dark? Steer me in the right direction! :blush:

Edited by ERIC

A point of interest for some (maybe) is that over the years I've found OMs to be either in near 100% perfect condition of the wreath frosting (almost white) or very well oxidized (almost black) wreath frosting. I wonder if this is a factor of:

used pilot badges vs. unused

manufacturing variations of the mix used in the frosting step

various conditions of storage over the past 60years affecting oxidation rates

or something unknown.

I guess we'll never know. Still OM is one of the more unique forms used for a pilot's badge and one of my favorites....but I'd still like to know what your initials mean?!

Eric, that one isn't NEW, it's an old original! :P

He, He, He, How true Brian!

Aaaarghhhhhh! What a beautiful badge until I scrolled down! Oh well.....I never knew the lower jaw was fletched...I learned something new! Thanks JTW!!

I never knew there was fletching on the lower jaw either John - How many do you recall seeing like that? This example you posted was the first for me!

ERIC :o

• 4 weeks later...

Here?s a truly abused example. Note that the fletching to the lower jaw is still visible, showing that this must have been a very early strike.

Such a pity!!

John,

any sign of similar marks on the back? I suspect the marks around the jaw are from where it was clamped in place so the offending swastika could be broken off.

Rich