News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Prussia was never, ever, an ally of Napoleon. My father is turning in his grave at this suggestion. The country was occupied after the disaster at Jena and Auerstaedt in 1806, and many Prussians, including one of my ancestors, were press-ganged into service in the Grande Armee for the 1812 campaign in Russia. It took the "Voelkerschlacht", or Battle of the Nations at Leipzig to finally turn the tide against the French.

Although Prussia wasn't technically an "ally", the Prussian state existed during the occupation period as a 'vassal' state of the French Empire. Prussia was luckier than other Germanic states along the Rhine that were "dissolved" by Napoleon and either reformed as new states (the Kingdom of Westphalia for example) or in the case of the western bank of the Rhine, any national identity "obliterated" by Napoleonic decree, absorbed and proclaimed part of metropolitan France.

Les

Guest Brian von Etzel

'vassal' is the right word and clearly states the relationship to which a degraded Prussia had fallen before dealing him a blow thanks to Bluecher.