News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Estonia - Firefighters Badge

does someone have info about this badge - from the colors and everything i would say its from estonia and the way it looks seems to be a firefigthers badge - but thats all i can tell. hope some others can do more.

christian

Yes, it is an Estonian Fire Fighters badge circa 30ties during the first Independence, I think they are long service badges, this one for five years good service.

Chris

Edited by Chris S

Christian L.

The badge is a five year long-service badge of the Union of Voluntary Firemen. It was instituted about 1920 and issued in this style for various years of service until they were re-designed in 1937. The number of years was initially indicated by Arabic numerals and later by Roman numerals. Before 1940 all firemen's decorations were made by the firm of VMT Roman Tavast, and their name should be on the back plate, if it is original to the badge. Some older badges were also made by the company of Rekkor and Kattenberg, goldsmiths in Tallinn.

There were also another set of medals issued as national awards for the fire service consisting of silver and gold medals and crosses. A very elaborate system for such a small country, but it created one of the most attractive set of fire awards you'll find from a single country. The lower grades are fairly common now, and good quality higher grades still usually command a premium.

A nice award - Thanks for showing it.

FireMedals

• 9 months later...

Christian L.

The badge is a five year long-service badge of the Union of Voluntary Firemen. It was instituted about 1920 and issued in this style for various years of service until they were re-designed in 1937. The number of years was initially indicated by Arabic numerals and later by Roman numerals. Before 1940 all firemen's decorations were made by the firm of VMT Roman Tavast, and their name should be on the back plate, if it is original to the badge. Some older badges were also made by the company of Rekkor and Kattenberg, goldsmiths in Tallinn.

There were also another set of medals issued as national awards for the fire service consisting of silver and gold medals and crosses. A very elaborate system for such a small country, but it created one of the most attractive set of fire awards you'll find from a single country. The lower grades are fairly common now, and good quality higher grades still usually command a premium.

A nice award - Thanks for showing it.

FireMedals

Firemedals,

Very correct information.

I will add some photos of badges from my collection to illustrate this topic.

This is the Higher Diligence Badge. It`s extr. rare as awarded less than 100 ex. in 1927-1940.

It`s made of silver, gilded, enamels. It`s big and massive and it has a multipiece construction. Made by Roman Tavast.

• 3 months later...