News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hungarian Merit Order Model 1949-53

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

This beautifully made, vaulted enamelled star was actually the bronze (higher classes in silver and gold) grade "medal" of the Merit Order of the Hungarian People's Republic. The classes of this model of the Order itself begin with a Vth Class of the same design but with rays between the star's arms.

Typically overly complex in construction-- the front and back are two separate stars soldered together, with a third piece in the transitional state seal of these years.

The "sun" blob visible at the inside bottom of the wreath and just below the wreath is actually from ancient glue used to repair however the lower part of the seal was originally attached.

It is water soluble and comes off, as can be seen in my closeup. Working on this VERY gently so at least it will not show.

EARLY Communist puppet regime awards are rarely seen over here, despite whatever numbers they might have been bestowed originally.

Guest Rick Research

Yup. The "bridge" for me between Imperial German and Soviet (of all types) is...

pretty enamel.

Yup. The "bridge" for me between Imperial German and Soviet (of all types) is...

pretty enamel.

Yep, Same here. Enameled Imperial orders have a simple beauty, whereas the enameled communist orders often have a wonderful and complicating design.

Gerd

• 1 year later...

Now that is a beautiful medal: 17,656 awarded between Oct. 24, 1949 and April 4, 1953 for "furthering and supporting the interests of the Hungarian Peoples' Republic and general distinguished merit.

See Charles Duncans' translation of "Nagy Magyar Kitunteteskonyv" by Bogdori et al.

Edited by Ulsterman