News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Interesting Iron Cross Case

.....but it is not for an EK2. ;) Nope not an EK1 either. :o You see this case is for a Grand Cross of the Iron Cross. :speechless1: Measurements are 175mm long, 113mm wide, 27mm tall. Inside the ribbon space will fit up to a 70mm wide ribbon. Width of the cut out for the cross is 60mm. This is in a different format and larger than the case for the issue GC, so this may have been for a period museum copy or a duplicate piece for one of the recipients.

Dan Murphy :rolleyes:

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Wowie zowie Now you just need a cross to fill it.

How true. I held in my hands a beautiful JGuS 938 marked 1914 GC one at one of Max shows some years ago. Super high quality and the price while not cheap, was fair. I just didn't have the cash at the time. :banger: Story of my life. :angry: I figured the case was more rare (though not as valuable) than the actual decoration and hopefully someday, I will see a nice period jeweler copy when I can afford it. The quality is going to have to be there though. There is no way I am going to put a piece of crap in it.

Joe,

The overall construction of the case, the right materials (genuine silk and real velvet) and the catch made me believe it was of the period. I would like to get a 1914 for it since I already have a nice period hindenburgstern copy. If an 1870 comes along though and I had the cash, I would not pass it up. I know I will never find an issue one, so a high quality period copy will have to do. Huesken has a 1914 for about $5K. Hmmm, wonder what I can sell?

Dan Murphy

Edited by Daniel Murphy

How true. I held in my hands a beautiful JGuS 938 marked 1914 GC one at one of Max shows some years ago. Super high quality and the price while not cheap, was fair. I just didn't have the cash at the time. :banger: Story of my life. :angry:

Dan Murphy

Dan,

Have you seen the 1813 Grand Cross Huesken has for sale? http://www.huesken.com/index.htm

It's only 42,500 Euros!!! :P:P

Very nice case. Obviously Grand Cross ;>) I would guess 1895-1920 as more appropriate for the case/style/construction

Perhaps even later. Museum replicas of the 1870s to include the Grand Cross were also made in the Third Reich period. The case is not dissimilar to the TR case for the Grand Cross ( not the fancy red leather covered one that Goering got). The fastening clip is also similar to the one used on the case for the Knights Cross of the War Merit Cross. Very nice and interesting case either way.