News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Saxon bar w/St. Henry and Albert w/swords

One of my favority bars with the EK, St. Henry, Baden War Effort, Albert Cross w/swords etc. The bar is for a EM. Are the award numbers known for this Saxon Albert Cross?

Lovely bars. Mine has no swords, and is "reversed."

I have a question regarding #2, above. Originally, do you think the hangers and loops were tucked beneath the overlap of the ribbons?

Guest Rick Research

"Originally, do you think the hangers and loops were tucked beneath the overlap of the ribbons?"

Yup. Sometimes age has tightened the drapes so the clips project, and nothing to be done about that now. But the rings should be chastely concealed beneath the ribbons, snugging the awards in so they don't swing wildly and clash together.

I have seen original photos of the Bang And Clink exterior rings being worn

by the sort of people (sniff) unconcerned about preserving their awards for posterity.

Interesting question. I know the award rolls for the St. Henry in silver exist. Do the award rolls for this grade SA Kruez cross exist. Per Rick the first bar may have belonged to a person from IR 103. Maybe Rick can enlighten us.

Guest Rick Research

Yes, the WW1 Albert Order CrossX roll has been published. I have that but not the silver St Henry Medal one.

Altengruber's book on the St. Henry has the silber medallie list with 7972 awarded. I also had a thought on the first bar. It has a Kaiser Centennial and a 1914 EK2....if the guy was a enlisted man where is the long service medal? Could he have been an officer?

Guest Rick Research

Yup, the late Erhard Roth's volume for Autengruber shows 1,392 of 'em.

As in 17.2.16 for Feldwebelleutnant Curt Beyer of RIR 241:

[attachmentid=46373]

The problem, of course, is that they are "invisible" in other records and so that makes identifying a Warrant Officer's or NCO's medal bar virtually impossible... unlike an autographed photo or two or three or 6. :rolleyes:

Altengruber's book on the St. Henry has the silber medallie list with 7972 awarded. I also had a thought on the first bar. It has a Kaiser Centennial and a 1914 EK2....if the guy was a enlisted man where is the long service medal? Could he have been an officer?

To clarify-do you mean that there is a book that lists all the SILVER St. Henrys' medals holders?

Rick-where did you get the AK book?

Edited by Ulsterman

Jeff, Altengruber's Biblio-Verlag has published:

Silver St. Henry Medal (all)

Gold St. Henry Medal (all)

Albert Order, RK2 (1914-17 I think)

Albert Order, pre-1914

Merit Order (Saxony)

These are just the Saxon books.... there's more.