News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

UNITED NATIONS MEDALS

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

UN Medals: UNTAES

UNITED NATIONS TRANSITIONAL ADMINISTRATION FOR EASTERN SLAVONIA, BARANJA AND WESTERN SIRMIUM

UNTAES was established on 15 January 1996 by Security Council Resolution 1037 (1996) for an initial period of twelve months with both military and civilian components. The mandate was to supervise and facilitate the demilitarization as undertaken by the parties (Government of the Republic of Croatia and the local Serbian Community); to monitor the voluntary and safe return of refugees and displaced persons to their home of origin in cooperation with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees; and to contribute to the maintenance of peace and security in the region. Upon completion of the task, the Mission was terminated in January 1998.

A medal was established in March 1996 with a qualifying period of 90 days of service.The ribbon has a blue background (representing peace), upon which is a broad red field in the middle bordered by thin white bands representing United Nations Peace Forces? command. Centered to the left is a narrow light green field (representing forests) and centered to the right is a narrow yellow field (representing cornfields).

The countries of Argentina, Austria, Bangladesh, Belgium, Brazil, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Fiji, Finland, Ghana, Indonesia, Ireland, the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, Kenya, Lithuania, Nepal, New Zealand, the Kingdom of the Netherlands, Nigeria, Norway, Pakistan, Poland, the Russian Federation, Senegal, Slovak Republic, Sweden, Switzerland, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America provided troops, military observers and civilian police to this Mission.

Obverse:

• Replies 187
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Darrell

UN Medals: UNTEA

UNITED NATIONS TEMPORARY EXECUTIVE AUTHORITY AND THE UNITED NATIONS SECURITY FORCE IN WEST NEW GUINEA (WEST IRIAN)

Established in October 1962 to maintain peace and security in the territory under the United Nations Temporary Executive Authority established by agreement between Indonesia and the Kingdom of the Netherlands. UNSF monitored the cease-fire and helped ensure law and order during the transition period, pending transfer to Indonesia. Upon completion of the mandate, the Mission was withdrawn in April 1963.

The medal ribbon has a background of UN blue with three centered narrow stripes in the colours dark green, white and light green. The dark green represents the jungle and the swampland, white indicates the snow-capped mountains and pale green represents the coral beaches of the region.

The countries of Canada, Ceylon, India, Ireland, Nigeria, Pakistan, Sweden and the United States of America provided troops to this Mission.

Obverse:

Guest Darrell

As far as I can tell, the above list is complete for UN Medals to Present. However, the end is not in sight as conflicts will involve the UN as long as it exists .... so will this list grow ...

Hope this offers some backgound. Thanks for looking.

Edited by Darrell

Guest Darrell

To add to this topic, there are a few loose ends. With some help from the source (United Nations Medals and Mission - Lawrence H. Borts) I will list a few items of interest.

First up the Korean UN Medal. This was issued in 11 types. The English version was posted earlier.

A. Again, the English Version:

Thanks for this thread!

I might add that there was supposed to have been a Hindi version of the UN Korea medal, for the Indian troops that served there. That service was so controversial, that the manufacture of the medal was stopped and receipt of the medal disallowed (though some bad boys wore the ribbon). Efforts are now underway to produce the medal and award it, long after the service, to the survivors or next-of-kin of the 60th Para Field Ambulance Unit (not the NNRC people, who would not have earned this medal anyway).

Let me dig out and post some imaged of medals that are shown here only in scans from books . . . .

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Guest Darrell

Great stuff. Was this poster specific to any country? Appears there are only a fraction of the total UN Medals on this one.

Great stuff. Was this poster specific to any country? Appears there are only a fraction of the total UN Medals on this one.

Darrell, It should contain all of the medals issued up to about 94. It does not contain the UNMIH medal I was awarded in 95. Kevin

Guest Darrell

Darrell, It should contain all of the medals issued up to about 94. It does not contain the UNMIH medal I was awarded in 95. Kevin

I think there were 34 issued up to 1994. That's why I'm thinking that poster is for a single country. For example, the US was only involved with a few of these 34 missions, thus it's soldiers only eligible for a few medals.

Edited by Darrell