News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

UNITED NATIONS MEDALS

Guest Darrell

• Replies 187
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The double pin fitting which I always thought was French turned up at UNMISET medal award ceremonies in East Timpor a few years ago, being used by the UNPOL Commissioner etc to pin the medals to uniforms during the ceremonies, to minimise the risk of the medals being dropped or recipient stabbed. I think the Austraians used them, the British used borrowed ones, I think from the Australians.

Hi to all of you,

i got one new united nations medal, miniature and ribbon bar.

United Nations

U.N.A.M.I.D.

(Sudan/Darfur 2006-Present):

A danish well known company of un medals, sent me a photo of the UNAMID medal they has received. The ribbon is entirely different from what was published in this topic.

Hope somebody will confirm this new ribbon.

Thanks to you

Elvis

• 3 weeks later...
    Guest Darrell

52. UN Medals: MINURCAT - United Nations Mission in the Central African Republic and Chad

On 25 September 2007, the Security Council, by its resolution 1778, approved the establishment in Chad and the Central African Republic, in concert with the European Union, of a multidimensional presence intended to help create the security conditions conducive to a voluntary, secure and sustainable return of refugees and displaced persons. The Council decided that the multidimensional presence shall include a United Nations Mission in the Central African Republic and Chad (MINURCAT).

The United Nations Mission in Central African Republic and Chad (MINURCAT) was established by Security Council Resolutions 1861 (2009), 1834 (2008) and 1778 (2007) in consultation with the authorities of Chad and the Central African Republic. Security Council Resolution 1861 authorizes the deployment of a military component of MINURCAT to follow EUFOR in both Chad and the Central African Republic at the end of EUFOR's mandate. MINURCAT shall include a maximum of 300 police officers, 25 military liaison officers, 5,200 military personnel and an appropriate number of civilian personnel.

Obverse:

Edited by Darrell

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have bought a new medal on eBay but can find out nothing about it. Does anyone here recognise it?

It is described as from Hungary - UNO (United Nations Organization) Service Medal of Merit, 2004.

Both sides appear to be identical but may not be.

Any ideas?

Hi,

I have bought a new medal on eBay but can find out nothing about it. Does anyone here recognise it?

It is described as from Hungary - UNO (United Nations Organization) Service Medal of Merit, 2004.

Both sides appear to be identical but may not be.

Any ideas?

Nice looking item,

Possibly a Hungarian U.N. Veterans Commemorative Medal :unsure:

I doubt its of official U.N. Issue.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

The same seller on eBay also has another Hungarian UN medal as below. Ebay Item number: 220365658545

Hungary - OSCE (Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe) Service Medal of Merit, 2004.

Well, I cannot find them mentioned on any UN site and I just received a reply from the Hungarian UN Association.

"Dear Mr. Henderson,

I have no idea about these medals. I do not think they are Hungarians. I have never heard of them. Today I am leaving for Canada and will be back in a week time. Then I will investigate.

Best regards,

Dr. Ervin Gombos

Secretary-General

United Nations Association of Hungary"

So now it is a mystery. Where on earth are they from? The seller swears that they are official Hungarian United Nations medals but the UN and the Hungarian UN Association disagree. Any ideas ????

Edited by Greg

Hallo Greg, :beer: in my opinion, and I stand open to correction

they are an unofficial "Bling-Bling" item,

probably for sale to Hungarian U.N. Vets with the surplus being offered to the

medal collecting fraternity via the net.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Now the seller is claiming : "This medal was constituted by the Minister of Defence of the Hungarian Republic, in 2004. Awarded for soldiers, who served in international U.N. missions. The name of the medal is: "ENSZ Szolg?lati ?rdem?rem" ( UNO Service Medal of Merit )"

Is there an expert here on Hungarian medals who can comment ?

Greg.