News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Request for info on two Naval officers

Hi all,

Just found and purchased a book on Ebay:

[attachmentid=46912]

As my wife Kim is a writer and often asks questions relating to military and especially naval customs and traditions, etc. it seemed a natural purchase. Plus I got it for $6.99 including shipping... couldn't pass it up. Only drawback is that the seller is away on a family emergency and won't be back to ship purchases till early August.

Here's the info the seller gave on it:

"Naval Customs Traditions & Usage" by Vice Admiral Leland P. Lovette, published by United States Naval Institute, 1959, is a hardcover book with cover graphics as seen in the picture below. The book has an inscription on inside front cover page dated July 14, 1961 "To Ensign Burnier on the occasion of swearing him in as a commissioned officer in the United States Navy" signed by H.D. Feld, Admiral USN, Com Poe??? (that's what it looks like it says???).

I'm hoping someone out there might be able to give me more info on either the Ensign Burnier or Admiral H.D. Feld, U.S.N.

And of course I won't know for sure till I receive the book but I'm wondering if "Com Poe" is not actually "Com Pac"?

Anyhow would appreciate any info anyone can give on this. :beer:

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

Guest Rick Research

The only US navy source I have is ADMIRALS before 1900... but I have a photo of 4 star Admiral H. D. Felt in a British early 1980s militaria collecting "coffee table" book showing this as examples of American ribbon bars-- army general on the left identified as L. I. Lemnitzer and himself (though spelled with a t not a d) on right, of about the 1961 period from the looks of their awards:

[attachmentid=46936]

Unfortunately, the dear Ensign wasn't an Academy grad, so it's tough to find out anything about him. If he made it to O-6 or above, you could try the operational archives at the Navy Archives in Washington DC to see if they have his bio.

As for ADM Harry Donald Felt, he was USNA 1923, earned the Navy Cross, Distinguished Service Cross (Army) Legion of Merit, and Distinguished Flying Cross during the course of his career that went to 1 July 1964 when he retired. He passed away in Virginia Beach, VA 25 February 1992.

Dave

Gentleman... as always I am astonished at your ability to ID just about anything or anyone! :beer:

I'd actually tried a Google search but had gone by the name given by the seller... Feld and not Felt. I'd have probably never found it.

But at least I guessed right on Com Pac. :P So one small point in my favor! :rolleyes::lol:

Thank you all so much. If anyone happens to come up with any more pics I'd be deeply grateful... but so nice to have the one Rick kindly provided and the info on him that I'll now be able to include with the book.

Sure hope something turns up on the Ensign one of these days. Not too shabby for what I got it for. Nice piece for my Naval collection. Might even be nice to put together a display set of his awards and ribbon bar to go with the set.

Thanks so much! :cheers:

Dan

• 4 weeks later...

Commander in Chief, Pacific Flleet is CINCPACFLT, not CINCPAC. CINCPACFLT is a Navy position that reports operationally to CINCPAC, who is usually an admiral filling the joint billet.

Arcane trivia for those who care -- or who can decipher Navy unit designations.

And just to clarify, Admiral Harry D. Felt was CINCPAC, not CINCPACFLT, serving from 31 July 1958 to 30 June 1964. Admiral Felt had previously commanded Sixth Fleet in the Mediterranean.

CINCPAC is a joint command. He commands all US forces in the Pacific Command - Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines. By tradition, he is always an admiral, since the bulk of forces in the theater are naval.

And just to clarify, Admiral Harry D. Felt was CINCPAC, not CINCPACFLT, serving from 31 July 1958 to 30 June 1964. Admiral Felt had previously commanded Sixth Fleet in the Mediterranean.

CINCPAC is a joint command. He commands all US forces in the Pacific Command - Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines. By tradition, he is always an admiral, since the bulk of forces in the theater are naval.

Hi Dave,

Many thanks to both you and Jeff for helping out on this. I'm hoping to find more photos of the Admiral and more info on his career as well as perhaps some info on the Ensign he signed the book for.

Thanks again, :cheers:

Dan

Hi all,

Here's the dedication page... hopefully one of you can make out the name of the Ensign in case the seller got that wrong as well. I've never been very good with most handwriting so keeping my fingers crossed.

[attachmentid=50718]

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan