News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 German 76 mm Leichte Wurfmine

JensF.

Jens,

There is only the single wafer. The outside diameter is 60mm and the diameter of the inner hole is 15mm. There are no markings that I can see. I don't think that I will be trying to light it! Glad to help.

Here are a few shots of my Nachrichten round.

Chip

Jens,

Thanks. It really is a nice example with most of the original paint. The fuse is dated 1918. Not sure what the threads on the tip of the fuse are for. Is it missing some sort of cap? Do you know?

Chip

Edited by Chip

Thats normal for a LWMZ 2 fuse. You can attach a cap for night firing on top of it. So it is not possible to see the flame which is coming out of the gas vent of the fuse and makes it harder to find its firing position for the enemy. Here a pic of a LWMZ 2 similar to yours except the thread on top. There were two different methods to attach that night firing cap.

Can you tell me more about the color of your Mine? Is it some kind of feldgrau and are there any markings on it? Could you post more pics of the complete shell? Thanks.

Edited by JensF.

And here my new made repro-propellant discs (paper!). Made up in packages of three each. Thanks again for the picture of the original disc.

Edited by JensF.

Jens,

Thanks for the pictures of the fuses. Here is a look at the entire round. Unfortunately, the glare from the flash has obscurred some of the detail. The body is painted in the same color of Feldgrau as a trench helmet. The "N"s are stencilled on in dark blue paint. It also appears that there were once four red vertical painted stripes on the fuse. These have mostly flaked away, but you can see a remnant of the red in my earlier picture of the fuse.

Chip

• 4 years later...
    • 2 weeks later...

I have enjoyed following this post - and how you have succesfully worked out how things should be.

However, I have to say that I am amazed that British Intelligence were creating almost full instructions for the piece and almost before it was in use. My estimation of our Intelligence has increased tremendously !

• 8 months later...
    • 5 years later...

Very interesting topic.

I believe the translucent yellow cellulose disk may be a vapor barrier, rather then the actual lifting charge. I have the same thing in one of my rounds and it is stuck to the ring with the vent holes.