News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

How to remove 'green stuff' from a Bronze Star?

Now to bring this old topic around again. As a paper money and coin collector, I've found that hawthorn needles work wonders for picking dirt and green c**p off of coins, so it seems natural that they would work good with medals.

• 3 months later...

Just a comment on the skunk thing. The nose actually has sensitive olefactory receptors that shut down after being exposed to the skunk smell. The tomato doesn't really work! Just the smell has shut down!

QUOTE(Rick Research @ Jul 28 2006, 19:50 )

No, the tomato acid would strip the matte finish right off. speechless1.gif

Don't ask me how I know these things. rolleyes.gif

(It helps to outlive all the witnesses. catjava.gif )

And imagine people use Tomato soup as a means of getting rid of "skunk" smell ohmy.gif

BTW .. that black cat looks like a skunk ... minus the white stripe. cheeky.gif

Now to bring this old topic around again. As a paper money and coin collector, I've found that hawthorn needles work wonders for picking dirt and green c**p off of coins, so it seems natural that they would work good with medals.

Hi Johnb74,

Welcome to the forum.

Finely a use for hawthorn needles, all these years of cursing them and now to find out they have a purpose. I've been using round tooth picks. They work well for about 3 seconds and then blunt off. I would think hawthorn would be more durable. Thanks for the tip.

Regards

Brian

Just a comment on the skunk thing. The nose actually has sensitive olefactory receptors that shut down after being exposed to the skunk smell. The tomato doesn't really work! Just the smell has shut down!

Hello Kurys,

Welcome to the forum, it's good to see so many fellow Canadians joining.

It's that time of the year here, at least in Ontario, where these smelly little creatures seem to spend a lot of time crossing roads at night only to meet their end under a passing vehicle. It makes the drive to work in the morning a fragrant experience. :blush:

Just so this is not totally off topic, I also use vinegar as Unit8 mentioned in his post on 7 Sept. 2009. One must use caution when using any acid, I've found that leaving the medal in the vinegar, with extreme cases, works well but timing is everything. I experimented with a "junk" medal (unnamed of course) and it is possible that even an acid as mild as vinegar, which is only 5% acetic acid, will remove detail with too much exposure.

Regards

Brian

• 1 month later...