News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A nice Red Star for Afghanistan

Just got this research in. The award card is still enroute, but I managed to get the citation first for the star. I haven't yet translated it all, but I can tell you that he was a Major who was the Soviet Chief of __ Scouts (Intelligence?) Rifle Division in the Democratic Republic of Afghanistan. Rather interesting!

Dave

Here's the citation.

Interestingly, the serial number (3735425) fits in perfectly with another recorded Afghanistan Red Star (3738401) but the later one was actually awarded on 3 January 1980! I was about to sell this Red Star as the research was requested on 26 February 2006, and just arrived (via e-mail!) on 16 June 2007!

Dave

Guest Rick Research

Actually, Vozhachenko's was 8 January 1980-- My typo oops :blush: now fixed on the documented serial numbers list here.

But yon Major got his for rough times at some obscure spot called

Tora Bora.

Now WHERE oh where have I heard THAT one before? :rolleyes::catjava:

Actually, Vozhachenko's was 8 January 1980-- My typo oops :blush: now fixed on the documented serial numbers list here.

But yon Major got his for rough times at some obscure spot called

Tora Bora.

Now WHERE oh where have I heard THAT one before? :rolleyes::catjava:

WOW! I had translated that as "Tura Bura" and it never dawned on me! I guess the Soviets had a tough time fighting there too!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tora_Bora

Dave

WOW! I had translated that as "Tura Bura" and it never dawned on me! I guess the Soviets had a tough time fighting there too!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tora_Bora

Dave

Yeah, not a nice or easy area (at least when I was there with the UN in May 2002). Too much UXO to seen much though (and the camera battery died that day too). Afghans say they have used Tora Bora as an area of refuge against all the invaders of their country, from Alexander on.

And another :love: one, Dave! :jumping:

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• 2 months later...
    Guest Rick Research

Anatoly Sergeevich Malinovsky

Major--Soviet commander of reconnaissance in an infantry division in the Democratic Republic of Afghanistan

Born 1937, Ukrainian, member of CPSU since 1966

No service in the GPW (duh!) or wounds in military service

Called up to Red Army from Novgorodsky RVK, Grodnetskoi Oblast

No previous decorations

Home address: Apt 46, Borobukha-3 DOS-ZIO, city of Polotsk, Vitebsky Oblast.

Has been in command position in the DRA since December 1980. Industrious, disciplined, well prepared in his profession. Skillfully trained commanders of infantry reconnaissance of the division in the forms and (methods? word off page) of competence in military reconnaissance. Repeatedly led participation in combat (off page) against rebel forces. In action: bold, decisive, without being at a loss, got his bearings quickly and correctly, showing assistance to Afghan officers in getting essential reconnaisance information. At time of the combat for destroying groups of the enemy in the district of TORA BORA...

TO BE CONTINUED

Guest Rick Research

Anatoly Sergeevich Malinovsky

Major--Soviet commander of reconnaissance in an infantry division in the Democratic Republic of Afghanistan

Born 1937, Ukrainian, member of CPSU since 1966

No service in the GPW (duh!) or wounds in military service

Called up to Red Army from Novgorodsky RVK, Grodnetskoi Oblast

No previous decorations

Home address: Apt 46, Borobukha-3 DOS-ZIO, city of Polotsk, Vitebsky Oblast.

Has been in command position in the DRA since December 1980. Industrious, disciplined, well prepared in his profession. Skillfully trained commanders of infantry reconnaissance of the division in the forms and (methods? word off page) of competence in military reconnaissance. Repeatedly led participation in combat (off page) against rebel forces. In action: bold, decisive, without being at a loss, got his bearings quickly and correctly, showing assistance to Afghan officers in getting essential reconnaissance information. At time of the combat for destroying groups of the enemy in the district of TORA BORA held position of Soviet commander of the division. Under his leadership, units and sub-divisions of the (off page :banger: !!!)I Inf Div successfully overcame the resistance of the enemy and was the first to forcefully enter the territory of the heavily fortified bases of the enemy. At the time of this act(ion) (Com)r. Malinovsky A.S. constantly found himself in the front line, developing substantial recommendations, showing assistance to the Afghan officers in (direction? Off page) of the forces, disdaining danger, inspiring them for accomplishing (off page) combat objectives. ~In collective enjoyed with authority.` {That?s awkward!!! RR} Morally (off page). Devoted to party affairs.

CONCLUSION: for courage and firmness displayed in combat with the rebels, deserves to be decorated with the order ?of the Red Star.?

Deputy Commander in Chief

(of Soviet) Forces and Chief Military

Advisor in the DRA

General of the Army (signed) A. Maiorov

(day off page) August 1981

Don't know if Afghan army divisions were designated with Roman or Arabic numerals, but from the spacing, suspect that it was the Something-Ist" Infantry Division rather than the Ist. :banger:

Need detailed operational histories!

Cross reference another Soviet "advisor"/actual divisional commander's Red Star in 1980 for the 1979 bloodbath-prequel:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1937...;hl=Vozhachenko