News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1956, as my Grandfather saw it.

For many years these photos were hidden up on the attic, rolled inside a curtain roll, in an old country house not far from Budapest. The discover of these kind of photograph could lead to years in prison for anyone.

My grandfather went around the last days October and in the beginning of November with his bike and photographed the scenes of the fighting of the 1956 peoples revolution.

The photographs shows the soviet troops leaving Budapest. Houses are damaged from the days of fighting and people are again moving in the streets.

These were the days of hope and success, filled with relief.

I got these photographs some years ago after the passing-away of my grandfather in 1995. He was blind the last 15 years of his life and was never able to see the photos again when he could finally take them from their hiding.

In the last days I scanned the whole series of the 25 photographs and display some of them for the first time ever, here on GMIC.

Edited by Peter Nyitray

Guest Rick Research

Tahnk you for sharing these remarkable photos.

I hope the city of Budapest's historical archives would also be interested in having copies of these.

I worked with a refugee of 1956 when I was in college-- they fled with nothing but the clithes on their backs, afraid to be slowed down by anything before the border was slammed shut again.

Eyewitness images like this are incredible.

Peter - what a fantastic archive of historical photos. I wish that I could have asked you for permission to use the one for the Magyar Radio for publication. (BTW - the book is at the press as we speak = more details to follow! IE 2 weeks)

I would certainly get these images into the 1956 Archive or the Hungarian National Musuem. I think the Magyar Radio one is perhaps the most significant. Its also errie to see those and know I have walked those hallowed avenues...

The remains of a burned out BTR-152 APC, most likely on the Prater Street near "the Corvin Passage". Freedom fighters attacked the light APS´s with Molotov-cocktails in the near streets.

These vehicles had small chances to avoid the attacks since their open tops gave no protection.

Someone has written some comments on the destroyed vehicles.

"Javitás Alatt" means under construction. "MEO I" is a quality mark for top quality..

Edited by Peter Nyitray

Yet another burned out BTR-152 APC. "Alakitás Alatt" means under repair.

"Az élenjáró Szovjet ipar terméke, Hurráh" means The product of the outstanding Soviet technique HURRAY !

Bitter times resulted into bitter humour..

Edited by Peter Nyitray

had a chance as a small child to meet one of those men

who fought on the streets of budapest...

he was a handsome man with a brilliant smile.

i don't remember much more (age 7 or 8??) except

him saying in conversation with my parents

"they tried to kill my country!".

it left an impression which has lasted fifty years.

joe