Records of German POWs held in UK in WW2

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Paul_1957

Paul_1957

• Basic Membership
  • Pip

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:41

I am interested in identifying the location of any records that would give information on a German POW held captive in England during the Second World War. The man in question was a Captain in the merchant marine.

Do any records exist in UK or Germany that would allow me to find out a bit more info on the POW. I know which camp he was held in in England but I am interested in finding out anything such as date and place of capture and any personal info such as age, place of birth etc.

Alternatively, are there any German merchant marine records which would give his record of seaman's service?

Thanks

Paul

#2 M Hunter

M Hunter

• Silver Membership
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2010 - 20:57

Paul,

The person you seek may not be here but it is a start. http://www.islandfarm.fsnet.co.uk/

Maybe contact the facilitators of this site and see if they know of other camps in England.

Kind regards
Matt

#3 M Hunter

M Hunter

• Silver Membership
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2010 - 21:51

Paul,

Here is the actual link from the site i gave you above. This lists the POW Camps in the UK.

http://www.islandfar... POW CAMPS1.htm

Kind regards
Matt

#4 Paul_1957

Paul_1957

• Basic Membership
  • Pip

Posted 02 July 2010 - 23:25

Paul,

Here is the actual link from the site i gave you above. This lists the POW Camps in the UK.

http://www.islandfar...OW%20CAMPS1.htm

Kind regards
Matt

Matt,

Thanks for providing that link to the list of camps. Camp 196 at Arbury Hall near Nuneaton, Warwickshire is the camp where the prisoner I'm interested in was held. At least I now know the camp number which is a step in the right direction.

Regards

Paul

Edited by Paul_1957, 02 July 2010 - 23:26 .

#5 Paul_1957

Paul_1957

• Basic Membership
  • Pip

Posted 03 July 2010 - 00:02

I reckon I have found an answer to my query.

An organisation called the Prisoner of War Information Bureau was set up by Britain at the start of the Second World War. That organisation held the records on individual POWs held in Britain. The Bureau closed down after the last POWs were repatriated in 1948. In the 1960's the Bureau's records were dispersed to the respective national government according to the nationality of the POW. Therefore, the records I am interested in are now held by Germany. The Prisoner of War Information Bureau also sent POW info to the International Red Cross Committee - so another set of records are held there. See WO 307 record description in the UK National Archives on-line catalogue.

Paul

#6 Echobeach67

Echobeach67

Basic Member

• Basic Membership

Posted 29 January 2013 - 19:42

Hi Paul,

this is an old post I am responding to so not sure you are still out there.....  My partners father was a German POW at Arbury Hall.  We have managed to find a lot of information about him from the German military records and the Red Cross.  We visited Arbury Hall in September last year and have photo's of the engravings the POWs made on a bridge there.  Get in touch if you are interested in sharing info.

Regards,

Maz

#7 Ulsterman

Ulsterman

Honorary Members

• Honorary & VIP

Posted 29 January 2013 - 20:44

Excellent post. I seem to recall the Red Cross records for WW1 are available......and maybe now WW2? Germany has some rather unhelpful privacy laws, which may prohibit you getting info from their archives. I am surprised the IWM does not have copies.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Uncategorised

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users