News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bravery Medal- Leningrad Front vs. Finns-Artillery Commander

Many thanks to PJS for this amazing Bravery Medal (I am head over heals for this one ) It will be the "holly grail" in my collection my favorite front, Leningrad, and early war, plus against the Finnish :D

It arrived a couple days ago and I'd like to share it with you guys

Here is the citation:

Bravery Medal #31,722 : “Comrade Anton Lavrentevich Pashchenko is a forceful, disciplined, and demanding commander, fearless in combat with the enemy. While advancing behind the infantry, Comrade Pashchenko displayed his hatred of the enemy by destroying more than one hundred enemy personnel, two heavy machineguns, and two mortars with his cannon. On 27 August 1941 the enemy attempted to cross the Vuoksi River and attack our units, but due to Comrade Pashchenko’s fearlessness, he wheeled out his 76mm cannon and firing on direct lay, twice disrupted the enemy’s crossings and causing heavy losses. At night when the White Finn submachine gunners tried to attack the platoon in which Comrade Pashchenko’s gun was located, he again displayed his bravery and heroism firing on direct lay, smashing the enemy with canister ammunition. During the capture of Beloostrov, Comrade Pashchenko caused heavy enemy losses with his cannon. Answering Comrade Stalin’s challenge, the crew of this young, fearless commander accomplished new results in destroying thirty six enemy personnel, two heavy machine guns, one light machine gun, and set four buildings on fire in Aleksandrovka. For his combat accomplishments, bravery, courage, and fearlessness, Comrade Pashchenko is deserving of the Bravery Medal.”

and here are the copy of archive documents (I still need to translate these if anyone can help a bit it'd be appreciated, I can make out a couple things but not all :D )

DSCN7503_zpsb5c2a838.jpg

DSCN7504_zps6c118229.jpg

DSCN7505_zps62ecc514.jpg

DSCN7506_zpsd790debc.jpg

DSCN7507_zpse3d02eb6.jpg

The Medal itself :D

DSCN7508_zps67e05919.jpg

DSCN7509_zpsd470120d.jpg

Hope you guys enjoyed it as much as I am now :D

Guest Rick Research

God--that's a 1945 Alexander Nevsky-worthy citation!!!! Young 2 star Lieutenant Paschchenko was SCREWED!

Then he only got two Red Stars-- January 1944 and September 1945...

he was SCREWED.

Not at all uncommon for the Lower Comraids. (And he was a Comraid since 1942, himself).

Absolutely TERRIFIC story behind this one.

He should have received a Red Banner.

Wow.

God--that's a 1945 Alexander Nevsky-worthy citation!!!! Young 2 star Lieutenant Paschchenko was SCREWED!

Then he only got two Red Stars-- January 1944 and September 1945...

he was SCREWED.

Not at all uncommon for the Lower Comraids. (And he was a Comraid since 1942, himself).

Absolutely TERRIFIC story behind this one.

He should have received a Red Banner.

Wow.

That is precisely what I thought as well (maybe if he had been awarded a higher order, I would not have been able to afford it ) It is the best Bravery Medal Citation I've ever seen for the Leningrad front :D (I haven't seen many so there might be something more epic than this one out there :D but I really enjoy it :))

We could probably factor in one of those Red Stars as a "Long Service" I'll have to do some extra research with Auke to make sure everything about him :)

I'm really glad it came to my home :)

It is great to see you return Mr. Rick Research, I've read many threads and your lists of contributing articles and info. are greatly appreciated to the new collectors :) like me.

• 2 weeks later...

Auke and his guys are like lighting, I ordered some translations Lr. Pashchenko's 2 Red Stars and his service record. Auke says they were having a slow day at the archive, I say Auke is Jean Luc Picard of the Enterprise in disguise and his whole crew over at the archives beamed this file up quickly! :D

His 2 RSes

1st one:

Short, concrete description of his combat feat or merits:

During the fighting with the German invaders near the village of Mormal in the Gomel Oblast on December 14 and 15 and during the offensive fighting between December 22 and 25, 1943 near the village of Davydovka in the Polesia Oblast he organized the duties of his platoon in an excellent manner. Acting quickly and efficiently, up to 150 enemy soldiers and officers were killed and 3 heavy and 2 light machine guns were destroyed. 3 enemy counterattacks were repelled, which enabled the success of his unit and the infantry it supported.

He deserves the Order of the Red Star.

Commander of the 124th Mortar Regiment

Major [signed] /Piskunov/

January …, 1944

I award the Order of the Red Star.

Commander of the 1st Mortar Brigade

Guards Lieutenant Colonel [signed] /Mirzoyan/

January 5, 1944

2nd one:

Short, concrete description of his combat feat or merits:

During the fighting near Irekty Lieutenant Pashchenko displayed skill in commanding his platoon in battle. Firing accurately at a concentration of enemy troops he cleared the way for the advancing units.

Conclusion: He deserves the Order of the Red Star.

Commander of the 982nd Rifle Regiment

Major [signed] /Pyankov/

September 5, 1945

I award the Order of the Red Star.

Commander of the 275th Rifle Division

Colonel [signed] /Mayorov/

September 13, 1945

Now I have to figure out what works better than Microsoft Word, as this version seems to eat up the chart in his service record, here is his photo: :)

IMG_6251_zps282cbe89.jpg

Lt. Pashchenko was AMAZING his 1st Red Star citation is also great (fighting on Christmas) :) I'll have to be on the lookout for both his remaining Red Stars to re-unite them in his group :)

I feel if he was a little higher in rank or within the party that his total award count would of sky rocketed with citations like these ones :)

Edited by Rogi