News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Luftschutz helmet with HJ emblem opinions please

Most luftschultz helmets are rather small, apparently it was often the job of young boys of thirteen or fourteen, obviously, hitler youth.They usuall fell under the normal luftschultz, but chech the size, that will give a clue to the age of the owner. I bet it is small...

• 7 months later...

I have an extremely small size helmet but with the standard swasticka decal not the HJ , so was wondering if this was for a small man or if the HJ used decals other then the diamond shaped design? I will take a foto tomorrow and post it.

Edited by Eva

• 1 month later...

finally got around to uploading these fotos. Sorry for the delay but I am often ill with lupus

the helmet is very small size 64, the paint is old but I think maybe painted over long ago, decal does not flouresce and liner is original but I did replace the chin strap with what I was told was original to the period, any comments or suggestions welcome.

A lot of them were painted black post war and used by the firebrigade and in south germany I understand they painted them red for the same purpose? If its small it is just the case that it was for use by someone with a small head. Naturally kids would have a small head so would be issued a small lid if available I suppose? I would guess that like today the bulk of equipment is manufactured in the most common sizes and 'outsizes' are ordered in small numbers. Just a guess though and would be interesting to know if they had a standard unit 'Equipment table' with numbers to hold? Knowing the Germans I would have thought it written down somewhere as an order.

Piekenier, have you asked on WAF/WRF, either or, as it is mostly the same punters on both?

Jock :)

Eva

Looks like your helmet has been overpainted with the national colours decal on top of that. Single decal helmets had the service decal not the national decal I believe. The underside of the helmet looks to have the original paint.

Hard to tell the manufacturer from your photos but the positioning of the vent lends itself to an ET or Q helmet. Does it have stamped numbers and letters under the rear rim and/or under one of the ear rims? They may be hard to see under the paint. The headband should also be dated on one side if you pull it inwards slightly with your fingers - do not apply too much pressure as the band will bend, you will need to look at an acute angle with a torch.

Steve :)