News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

India General Service Medal 1895

We have a thread on the IGS 1908 -- http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7991 -- so why not one for its earlier sibling, the India Medal 1895.

IGS 1895 Type Collection - part 1

The initial "reason" for the medal:

1- DEFENCE OF CHITRAL 1895 - 514 Sepoy Gopal Singh 4th Kashmir Rifles - KIA at Chitral

Sepoy Gopal Singh was killed in action by a gunshot at Chitral, in the reconnaissance on 3 March 1895, during which Surgeon Captain H. F. Whitchurch won the Victoria Cross. The following extract is taken from Captain C. V. F. Townshend's Despatch of 26 April 1895:

"Reconnaissance, 3rd March 1895. We were now fired into on all sides, front, flank and rear, from every hamlet and wall, and it was now quite dark and impossible at a short distance to distinguish friend from foe. Captain Campbell, who had been put on a pony, notwithstanding that he was severely wounded, helped me in keeping the men together. Crossing the polo-ground the enemy kept up a fire on us from the houses and the orchards. On reaching the serai I found 50 men of the 14th Sikhs under Lieutenant Hurley, who had come out to cover our retreat. I directed him to cover our retirement into the fort, and, restoring order among the 4th Kashmir Rifles, retired into the fort; the Sikhs covered the retreat very steadily. I took command now at the fort, as Campbell was severely wounded. Every man was sent to his station. I heard that Captain Baird had been desperately wounded away on our right flank, and that he and Surgeon-Captain Whitchurch had not come into the fort. He had been wounded in the early part of the action. About 8 p.m. Surgeon-Captain Whitchurch came in, bringing Captain Baird, who was mortally wounded. Thirteen of the 4th Kashmir Rifles had stuck by them, - Gurkhas and one or two Dogras, under Subadar Badri Nar Singh. They had a marvellous escape. They had to charge one or two walls or sangars where the enemy tried to stop them; several of the party were killed, Baird receiving another wound as he was being carried; they had to rush one sangar with the bayonets."

The casualties in this sortie from the fort amounted to 25 killed and 30 wounded, mostly amongst the 4th Kashmir Rifles. In addition to the V.C. to Surgeon Whitchurch, the Order of Merit was awarded to 15 officers and men of the Kashmir Rifles for gallantry on that day.

Ex-Richie Collection.

2- RELIEF OF CHITRAL 1895 - Driver Mangal Singh Gwalior I. S. Corps

This was the unit's first service. Joined the Chitral Relief Force at Nowshera with 456 ponies and 193 carts. Employed as a cart-train between Nowshera and Dargai. On 30 April 1895, it was concentrated at Dargai for pack work to Dir. Later resumed cart-train operations near Dargai. 2 August 1895, moved forward to Swat Valley, where it remained until the end of September 1895 when it returned to Gwalior. The services of the unit received high praise. Awarded battle honours "Chitral" by GGO 397 of 17 April 1897.

3- RELIEF OF CHITRAL 1895 - bronze - Saddler Rajama Comst Transpt Deptt Madras

IGS 1895 Type Collection - part 2

The next round commences.

4- PUNJAB FRONTIER 1897-98 - 769 Sepoy Dewa Singh 1st Patiala I. S. Infy.

5- PUNJAB FRONTIER 1897-98 - bronze - Khalasia Chhedi Civil Deptt. Tochi F.F. - Khalasia = labourers (errand boys) employed by units that were not entitled to orderlies/batmen.

6- PUNJAB FRONTIER 1897-98, TIRAH 1897-98 - 135 Naick Maman Singh Nabha I S Infy

7- PUNJAB FRONTIER 1897-98, TIRAH 1897-98 - bronze - 50 Driver Jhanda Kapurthala I S Infy

IGS 1895 Type Collection - part 3

8- PUNJAB FRONTIER 1897-98, SAMANA 1897, TIRAH 1897-98 - 1459 Piper Ghand Jhind I. S. Infy. - Piper, yes piper!

9- PUNJAB FRONTIER 1897-98, SAMANA 1897, TIRAH 1897-98 - bronze - 51 Grasscutter Kalloo 2d Regt C. I. Horse

And some sample multi-claspers.

10- RELIEF OF CHITRAL 1895, PUNJAB FRONTIER 1897-98, SAMANA 1897, TIRAH 1897-98 - 3482 Sepoy Isar Singh 15th Bl. Infy.

11- PUNJAB FRONTIER 1897-98, SAMANA 1897, TIRAH 1897-98, WAZIRISTAN 1901-2 - 115 Sepoy Hakam Singh Kapurthala I. S. Infy

My preference for States' Forces units may be obvious?

IGS 1895 Type Collection - part 4

The 1902 reshaping of the medal, with the new king-emperor's image and the date "1895" removed from the reverse.

12- WAZIRISTAN 1901-2 - 14 Risaldar Mangal Singh, 2nd Pjb. Cavy.

entered service 1 Apri 1877

Jemadar 15 February 1893

Ressaldar 1 August 1893

Risaldar ????

Out by 1 January 1904 (gone w/ reorganization into the 22nd Cav.?)

War services:

NWF Jowaki 1877-78 - medal & bar

Afghan 1879-80 - medal & bar (Ahmed Khel?)

13- WAZIRISTAN 1901-2 - bronze - Peon Ramkishan Bhat 123d Outrams Rifles

IGS 1895 Type Collection - part 3

9- PUNJAB FRONTIER 1897-98, SAMANA 1897, TIRAH 1897-98 - bronze - 51 Grasscutter Kalloo 2d Regt C. I. Horse

I'll have to scan my pair (L.S.G.C.) to the 1st "Scented Minstrel Horse". I was responsible for the updates on some of the I.G.S. and G.S.M. clasps in the last edition of Gordons, and added the C.I.H. for the Samana clasp.

Great stuff Ed! Love those multi clasp ones, especially No. 10, in the fight from the beginning. How rare are these 3 and 4 bar medals?

This medal is one of my favourites. Love this design.

This one is named to: 1375 sepoy pir baksh 5th pjb infy (thanks Ed!).

Sam.

Edited by Mossy

Here's a (likely incomplete) list of clasps for the 1895 India Service Medal. If any are missing, add them on, along with any bits of info or trivia you may have. The more the merrier!

Defence of Chitral 1895

Punjab Frontier 1897-98

Relief of Chitral 1895

Samana 1897

Tirah 1897-98

Waziristan 1901-2

Sam.

• 2 years later...

Here is my contribution. Defense of Chitral to 663 Sepoy Kalu 4th Kashmir Rifles. I bought this one in Spinks in 2006 since I wanted one of these in my collection after reading some books about the siege, not least the Story of a Minor Siege.

Two Sepoys with similar names appear in the A Farringdon casualty roll for Defense of Chitral : Sepoy Kaloo 4th Company, 4th Kashmir Rifles was killed in action at Chitral Fort on 2 March 1895 and a Sepoy Kalu Raj of the same company was severely wounded on that same day. Not sure if Ed can hlep in trying to pin down to which of these gentlemen this medal belongs.

Not sure if Ed can hlep in trying to pin down to which of these gentlemen this medal belongs.

Nice one, for sure.

Unfortunately, absent the medal roll or original casualty roll it is hard to say who is who on this moderately common name. Farrington's focus was never on Indian soldiers, so he rarely bothers with their regimental numbers.

Let me see if I can find anything.

• 4 months later...