News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

n Fieldmarshal Slavko Kvarternik

Hello,

here you see a photo of Marschall Slavko Kvaternik with the neck order of the "Eisernes Dreiblatt" and EK I..

In his hands you can see the Croatian Marschall Barton, which was awarded by the Poglavnic Dr. Ante Pavelic on 13. April 1941, the day when he was made Marschall and Chief of the Croatian Army.

And here are the pictures of the barton and case.

This set was offered by Hermann Historica, Auction October 1997.

The asking price was 85.000 DM and it was, of course, not sold :D

greetings

eitze

@ Laurence

I think so.

The baton (without R :D ) was made of .900 silver by the firm of "Braca Knaus" (Zagreb or Agram as it was called that time), the manufactorer of almost all Croatian decorations and badges.

greetings

eitze

• 2 weeks later...
    • 6 months later...

Thats quite a Marshals baton, why the ax shape, is there some significance to Croatian History?

As far as I know,there's no significance to Croatian history in the ax shape.As you can see from the scans of the ax,there are portraits on it of the Croatian political and military leaders from the past.

Thats quite a Marshals baton, why the ax shape, is there some significance to Croatian History?

Cant comment 100% on the axe in Coratian history, but in Hungary this type of axe head (small on a stick) is typical of the Hungarian peasants axe - good for cutting up small things and good for bashing in the head of the Turk invaders as well in the 16th Centutry... this small axe image exists still today in commemorative pieces. I have most recently seen one as an award for miners from the Hungarian Peoples Republic (1949-1989) - just some background...

• 1 year later...

Cant comment 100% on the axe in Coratian history, but in Hungary this type of axe head (small on a stick) is typical of the Hungarian peasants axe - good for cutting up small things and good for bashing in the head of the Turk invaders as well in the 16th Centutry... this small axe image exists still today in commemorative pieces. I have most recently seen one as an award for miners from the Hungarian Peoples Republic (1949-1989) - just some background...

Birth - Slavko Kvaternik (1878 - June 7, 1947) Sentenced to Death

He was awarded the 1st Class Cross of the Order of the Iron Trefoil during his service to the NDH. This award gave him the title of vitez (knight), which is sometimes included in his name.

During World War I, Kvaternik served as an adjutant of field marshal Svetozar Boroević and was awarded the Iron Cross 1st Class.

Axe has no real Croatian signifigance although it may be due to long time influence under Austro Hungarian Empire

Birth Place - Austria Hungary

This should help your question

Right hand side above right pocket unofficial NDH airforce insignia usualy for caps

• 4 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

If i had that kind of Money i would think about it but i dont think I am happy with Croatia highest award My First Class Mint condition Iron trefoil over an axe any day!

any more Questions on Croatian items Id be more than happy to help

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Do you have a photo of your 1st class iron trefoil? I just recently purchased German General Karl Eglseer's cased 1st class iron trefoil and I have another one that I'm currently selling.

Damir

If i had that kind of Money i would think about it but i dont think I am happy with Croatia highest award My First Class Mint condition Iron trefoil over an axe any day!

any more Questions on Croatian items Id be more than happy to help