News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Schutztruppe Iron Crosses....

His EK1 doc.

I was really suprised at the price it went for, it is not only an EK1 doc but to a "Freiherr von..." commander of a Aufkl?rungs unit on the South African border, deeply involved with the Boer Rebels and who actually crossed the border into South Africa with a group of rebels!!!

Guest Rick Research

Perhaps more exciting had we known these were YOURS and NOT eBay pix from some split up group...

am fully brain-occupied with WW1 rolls and miss 'sibtleties."

"Lookee what I GOT" would have clarified things.

I find nothing on him. MIGHT have his parents from the Heldengedenkmappe but can't be sure he WAS the "Hauptmann Fritz im Felde" listed as a surviving brother. Might have been a cousn.

Perhaps more exciting had we known these were YOURS and NOT eBay pix from some split up group...

am fully brain-occupied with WW1 rolls and miss 'sibtleties."

"Lookee what I GOT" would have clarified things.

I find nothing on him. MIGHT have his parents from the Heldengedenkmappe but can't be sure he WAS the "Hauptmann Fritz im Felde" listed as a surviving brother. Might have been a cousn.

Hi,

His name was indeed Friedrich.

There are a few papers in the group from what I assume is his Brother, PLM winner Heinrich von Hadeln.

On the web I found a reference to "Von hadeln, Himmlers adjutant"

PLM von hadeln died 1940, Friedrich in 48 or so.

Chris,

Fritz Werner Oskar Johannes Freiherr von Hadeln born 14 May 1885 was indeed the youngest brother of PLM winner Heinrich Freiherr von Hadeln. If my memory serves me right an SS-Sturmbannf?hrer Freiherr von Hadeln was KIA in 1943 as a battalion commander in the Westland Regiment of the Wiking Division.

Regards

Glenn

Chris,

Fritz Werner Oskar Johannes Freiherr von Hadeln born 14 May 1885 was indeed the youngest brother of PLM winner Heinrich Freiherr von Hadeln. If my memory serves me right an SS-Sturmbannf?hrer Freiherr von Hadeln was KIA in 1943 as a battalion commander in the Westland Regiment of the Wiking Division.

Regards

Glenn

Hi,

A vague google search shows a Von hadeln as hitlers adjutant, probably a son of one of them.

In the group of extra papers I got with this group is the last will of Heinrich, the PLM winner, written and signed a few months before his death in 1940.

Here is a point that may make the first doc unique.... I had not noticed it before (DUH !!!!!)

It is signed and awarded in Berlin in May 1918...................

why is that soooooooooooo unusual......

any ideas ?????????????????????????????????????

I have never seen this kind of doc before, most of the EK2s are on the decorative version like von hadelns EK1.

Here is a hint to the above question....... Von Hadeln may well have been the first Schutztruppe EK2 awarded.... or at least the earliest by many months !!!!

Hello Chris Boonzaier,

in the name list of recipients of the Iron Cross 2nd class were the earliest awarded on the 01.12.1914 :speechless1:

Some of them who get the Iron Cross 2nd class on this day were Bezirksamtmann Dr.vet Wilhelm von Vietsch or Stabsarzt Dr. med. Felix Meyer.

A lot of Southwest-veterans get their award on the 28.04.1918. On the name list of recipients of the Iron Cross 2nd class Oblt. von Hadeln get his award on the 28.04.1918 too.

All the best

Leutwein

A lot of Southwest-veterans get their award on the 28.04.1918. On the name list of recipients of the Iron Cross 2nd class Oblt. von Hadeln get his award on the 28.04.1918 too.

All the best

Leutwein

Hmmm... then my theory shot to hell....

They were mostly all still captive in South Africa/South west Africa at this time, the war still had a ways to go.... The award was made in Germany.

How on earth did they get that together?? The Schutztruppen were captured en masse....