News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Gents!

What we have here is my personal project (one of the few at least). It is a picture of Louis M?ldner von M?lnheim. We could google his career on this forum, but why bother:

Louis Alfred Carl Oscar M?ldner von M?lnheim

20.7.1897 Seconde-Leutenant im J?ger Bataillon (westf?lisches) Nr. 7 (Garnison: B?ckeburg), 11.9.1907 Oberleutnant im 4. Garde-Regiment zu Fu? (Ganison: Berlin), 20.7.1912 Hauptmann und Adjutant der 4. Garde-Infanterie-Brigade (Kaiser Franz Garde-Grenadier-Regiment Nr 2., K?nigin Augusta Garde-Grenadier-Regiment Nr 4, Garde Landwehr-Regiment 2 und 4), 1914-1918 erster Weltkrieg, 21.-22.8.1914 Schlacht bei Auvelais a.d. Sambre, 28.-31.8.1914 Schlacht bei St. Quentin, insbesondere bei La Val?e, 25.12.1914 Kompagnie-Chef in neuzubildende Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 261 (D?beritz), Winterschlacht in Masurien, Verfolgung bis zum Bobr, ?bernahme einer Bataillon, Stellungskampfen bei Augustowo und Kalwarja, Angriffsk?mpfen an der Schlawanta und um Kowno, 25.9.1915 Versetzung im Generalstab und gleichzeitige Kommandierung zum AOK 5, 27.3.1916 Versetzung im Generalstab der Armee, 4.5.1916 pers?nlicher Adjutant SKKH Wilhelm, Kronprinz von Preu?en und des Deutschen Reiches a.d. Westfront, 27.1.1917 Major, 1918-1923 (nach den Kriegsende) pers?nlicher Begleiter des deutschen Kronprinzen, 1924-1926 pers?nlicher Adjudant Seiner Kaiserliche Hoheit des Kronprinzen, 1926 bis 1945 Pers?nlicher Referent der Generalverwaltung des vormals regierenden preu?ischen K?nigshauses, ab 1941 Chef der Hofverwaltung Seiner Kaiserliche Hoheit des Kronprinzen und Kabinettchef SKH als Haupt des Hauses Brandenburg-Preu?en und Haupt der Hofhaltung Brandenburg-Preu?en.

I would like to know more about his NCO career.

Thanks to the research of quite a few members of this forum and the WAF, I do know quite a lot about the awards we see here already. However I am still looking for the awarddates (which I am sure with the upcoming work by Rick R, I could at least add a few of those in the future):

Eiserne Kreuz I. Klasse (K?nigreich Preussen) (19.7.1915),

On his medalbar, we can find:

1. Eisernes Kreuzes II. Klasse (K?nigreich Preussen) (13.9.1914),

2. Ritter der hohenzollnerischen Hausorden mit dem Schwertern (K?nigreich Preussen) (25.5.1918)

3. Kronenorden IV. Klasse (K?nigreich Preussen),

4. Zentenarmedaille

5. Ritter der Albrecht Orden I. Klasse mit dem Schwertern (K?nigreich Sachsen), not on the rolls, as Rick researched for me

6. Ritter der Orden vom Z?hringer L?wen II. Klasse mit Schwerten und Eichenlaub (Grossherzogtum Baden) (10.1.1918),

7. ??

8. ??

9. Lippe Detmold Kriegsverdienstkreuz

10. Hamburg hanseatic cross

11. Bremen hanseatic cross

12. ??

13. Ritter IV. Klasse der Hausorden des Ehrenkreuzes (F?rstentum Schaumburg-Lippe), 15.10.1907

14. Ehrenkreuz III. Klasse (F?rstentumer Reuss), (prewar)

After the war he is shown on another photo with a second neck-badge, which I believe due to his post-war career, to be the

Comthurkreuz der hohenzollernischen Hausorden mit dem Schwertern (Nachkriegszeit),

1 of the ones unidentified could be the Kriegsverdienstkreuz (Herzogtum Braunschweig),

I am really curious to find out what you can see (if anything) to add or to change on this list by looking on this picture.

Hope you will give it a try.....

Thanks and best regards

David M?ldner

The other project involves the brother of Louis, Georg Emil Theodor M?ldner von M?lnheim (1872-1941). His career dates so far are as follows:

Nach abgelegten Abiturienten-Examen als Grenadier 18.9.1893 Diensteintritt als Avantegeur im Kaiser-Alexander-Grenadier-Garde Regiment Nr. 1 (Garnison: Berlin), 21.11.1893 Gefreiter, 27.1.1894 Unteroffizier, 21.4.1894 Portepeef?hnrich, 27.1.1895 Secondelieutenant, 22.3.1897 (Patent vom 27.1.1897) Leutnant 1. Kompagnie in das am 1. April neu zu bildende 3. Bataillon des Infanterie-Regiment Hamburg (2. hanseatisches) Nr. 76, 10.7.-5.8.1899 zur Gewehrfabrik Spandau, 15.09.1904 Oberleutnant Infanterie-Regiment Hamburg (2. hanseatisches) Nr. 76 (Garnison: Hamburg), 1905-1908 zur Kriegs-Akademie kommandirt, nach Beendigung des Commandos zur Kriegs-Akademie bis 30.9.1908 zur Dienstleistung beim 1. Garde-Dragoner-Regiment K?nigin Viktoria von Grossbritannien und Irland Commandirt, 1.4.1909 auf 1 Jahr zur Dienstleistung beim Grossen General-Stabe commandirt, 1.4.1910 auf ein ferneres Jahr zur Dienstleistung beim Grossen General-Stabe commandirt, 20.3.1911 unter Enthebung von dem Commando zur Dienstleistung beim Grossen-General-Stab und unter Bef?rderung zum Hauptmann als Compagniechef, 2. Kompagnie Niederrheinisches F?silier-Regiment Nr. 39 (Ganison: D?sseldorf), 1914-18 erster Weltkrieg, 8.1914 vor Maubeuge (Frankreich) leicht verwundet, 1.5.1915 F?hrer des III. Bataillons des F?silier-Regiments 39, Januar 1916 F?hrer des I. Bataillons Reserve-Infanterie-Regiments 220, 1.7-7.7.1916 Fort Vaux, 22.3.1917-Ende 12.1917 Major und Bataillonschef des II. Bataillons Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 220, K?mpfe in Russland, 15.5.1918 dem Kriegsministerium ?berwiesen, 17.5.1918 Milit?rkommission Kiew, 9.11.1918 Bevollm?chtigter des Kriegsministeriums f?r die Ukraine, Gesandter zu Kiew, 1.3.1919 demobilisiert, 24.7.1919 Versorgungsabteilung des Kriegsministerium, 9.4.1920 Abschied mit Pension und mit der Range als Oberstleutnant.

The only thing I know for sure about his awards is that he received the HHOX. I am assuming however that an officer with this rank would also have had EKI and II, and because of his previous attachment to IR76 the Hamburg Hanseatic cross. Unfortunately his archives were lost during the WWII, I do have a picture of him, alas not in uniform. Would there be a possibility with the dates on his career to find him in any kind of Regimental history? I do already know his photo is not in the RH of FR 39.

Edited by David M

David, Did any of them see service as an officer during WW2?

Hi Paul,

not to my knowledge during WW2 Louis was in the Generalverwaltung of the royal house and Georg died in 1941, living in Berlin. To my knowlegde (although I am not sure) Georg did not see service in the Wehrmacht. The only M?ldner who held an active officer rank (Lt. d. R.) was a non-noble relative of mine (a cousin of my greatgrandfather).

Regards

David

Edited by David M

Hi David,

A closeup of the medal bar and the 2nd pic You mentioned would be helpful.

I can say he got HOH3X, SA3aX and BZ3aX from the existing rolls.

KO4, Joh, Cent, REKj3, SLH4 he had peacetime.

Best regards

Daniel

Hi Daniel, I have been working on that, but cant seem to get it really clear as I maginfie it. I dont have anything like photoshop or so :-S About the SA3aX, is there a date for that? I know he just had the Cent, REKj3 and SLH4 in his DOA 1908/1909 entry, so his KO4 is from a later date. When was an officer awarded the KO4 and when the RAO4? It seems to be that someone got either one of them by the time they reached the rank of Hauptmann. Am I correct there and what is the difference between the awarding of the RAO4 and the KO4?

Thanks again

David

Hi Daniel, I have been working on that, but cant seem to get it really clear as I maginfie it. I dont have anything like photoshop or so :-S About the SA3aX, is there a date for that? I know he just had the Cent, REKj3 and SLH4 in his DOA 1908/1909 entry, so his KO4 is from a later date. When was an officer awarded the KO4 and when the RAO4? It seems to be that someone got either one of them by the time they reached the rank of Hauptmann. Am I correct there and what is the difference between the awarding of the RAO4 and the KO4?

Which roll was your source for the KO4, as I know he got it post 1908/1909, is there an estimate to make on the year he got it?

Thanks again

David

sorry about that, should habe been a edited version of the previous post..... :rolleyes:

Edited by David M

Guest Rick Research

Aha. I NOW (since last summer) have what passes as the Schaumburg-Lippe Rolls (some day, some day, these TOO will be "done") and--

SLH4 "M?ldner von M?lnheim, Oberltn" (that's the entire entry, only a last name and one word "job" arranged in classes by initial letter of the alphabet only in chronological running order)--- 15 October 1907.

:beer:

I can enlarge your scan but not improve its focus. He IS wearing "super Prussian" precedence, so that is the 1897 Centenary Medal in 4th place. The medal in last place is... ?

Hi Rick

Thanks for that (soory I did not have time to write sooner, as my wife is having her birthday today....)

That's another date again!!

About the other ones: I know that the Lippe-Detmold KVK does not have rolls. Does that go for more of the medals Louis is wearing?

Regards

David

• 2 months later...

Hi Dave

That is very interesting! I guess he did not get the rest during the last 8 months, so I have no idea why the other awards are not there.

Would the brother of Major Louis be in this volume (what is the title of the source?) as well? His career is to be found in the first post. His last post before March 1918 was in the 220 Regt., so maybe he is z.D. somewhere. I would really be interested in an account of his awards as well, as I only know his HHOX for sure now

Thanks again

David

Hi Dave

That is very interesting! I guess he did not get the rest during the last 8 months, so I have no idea why the other awards are not there.

Would the brother of Major Louis be in this volume (what is the title of the source?) as well? His career is to be found in the first post. His last post before March 1918 was in the 220 Regt., so maybe he is z.D. somewhere. I would really be interested in an account of his awards as well, as I only know his HHOX for sure now

Thanks again

David

It would depend on whether he had a civilian position of some sort. This is from the March 1918 edition of the Handbook of the Prussian Court and State. There are no specific military listings other than the various royal adjutants. Under "Kriegsministerium" there is just a notation that due to the war there were too many changes to warrant listing names.

However, if noble connections meant someone was in the Herrenhaus, or if someone held some other position in the state or the court, he would be listed. There are thousands of Iron Crosses and other WW1 decorations sprinkled throughout the book. I imagine there were quite a few state, provincial and local officials who were Landwehr or Reserve officers or who answered the call and are listed there. I saw GFM Remus von Woyrsch, for instance, under the Mitglieder des Herrenhauses.