News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

For the U-Boat badge it was 2 war cruises, but for the clasp it gets a bit confusing. In about the middle of 1944 the (bronze) clasp was introduced but with no pre set criteria for awards. It was given for a number of reasons including bravery or other outstanding service, number of missions etc. The only thing of note is that Donitz himself had to approve the award. The silver came out later (1944/45???)

In 1944 the situation for the U-Boat crews was not good, so you can imagine that these are quite rare.

Al

Thanks for the info ALp. Yes I know of the situation in the later years of the KM.If Doenitz had gotten what he wanted when he wanted they would have won. I guess it's good for us that Dolf couldn't see the big picture.

byf

• 3 months later...
    • 1 month later...

Gordon,

I still marvel at your 1st Pattern in Silver. Doubt I'll ever own one, let alone see one! My 2nd Pattern is starting to bubble on the obverse. Almost too much glare in the scan, but still great silvering.

Best Regards,

Mark

[attachmentid=24847]

Edited by mmiller

Hi Mark,

Yes, thats the first Second Pattern in 40 years of collecting that I have ever had in that sort of condition with no sign of bubbling. Likewise the First Pattern, I have had a couple of other First Pattern silvers thgrough my hands but never seen another in this condition. Definitely my favourite piece.

A lot of the Second Patterns I have seen with better finish seemed to have a flash coat of copper over the zinc before the silvering was applied and I wonder if this combination has something to do with preventing the bubbling. This coppering process was also common in some zink cap insignia ( SS skulls etc) and even on the backplate of the DKs where you can see the sandwich effect, and they didn't suffer from this bubbling.

Hi Gordon,

The bottom (copper) coat theory would sure give the silver wash a primer to adhere to, thus inhibiting the bubbling we regularly see. I guess we could speculate that the 'early ones' (relative) had the copper, prior to it becoming destined solely for rifled rounds.

Are the 1st Patterns zinc, too, or are they buntmetal? Any surface scratches that would reveal copper cladding on the 1st Pattern?

I'd offer my left one (please censor if needed) for a 1st Pattern!

Mark

Hi Mark,

Yes, thats the first Second Pattern in 40 years of collecting that I have ever had in that sort of condition with no sign of bubbling. Likewise the First Pattern, I have had a couple of other First Pattern silvers thgrough my hands but never seen another in this condition. Definitely my favourite piece.

A lot of the Second Patterns I have seen with better finish seemed to have a flash coat of copper over the zinc before the silvering was applied and I wonder if this combination has something to do with preventing the bubbling. This coppering process was also common in some zink cap insignia ( SS skulls etc) and even on the backplate of the DKs where you can see the sandwich effect, and they didn't suffer from this bubbling.