News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Peruvian Cross of Military Merit

I bought this medal on my recent vacation in Peru (just came home today). Below is the only information I could find on it.

"Large bronze cross patt?e with rays between the arms on circular laurel wreath suspension; the face with a circular central medallion bearing the portrait in relief of Coronel Francisco Bolognesi encircled by a white enamel ring inscribed 'CRUZ PERUANA AL MERITO MILITAR'; the reverse of similar design but with the white enamel circle inscribed with his name; on original ribbon mounted with pin for wear. The cross was created in February 1949 and is awarded to military for outstanding service in the defence of the country. Coronel Francisco Bolognesi Cervantes (1816-1880) had a long, distinguished military career, retiring in 1871 as Commander-in-Chief of the Artillery. When war broke out in 1878 between Peru and Bolivia on the one hand and Chile on the other, Bolognesi returned to active service and in April 1880 was charged with the defence of the town of Arica. In May Arica was surrounded by Chilean forces who outnumbered the defenders 3 to 1. When the Chileans demanded his surrender, he replied with words that have entered the Spanish language ? "Tengo deberes sagrados que cumplir y los cumplire hasta quemar el ultimo cartucho" (I have a sacred duty to accomplish, and I will fulfil it until I burn the last cartridge"). On 7 June the Chileans captured Arica; Colonel Bolognesi lost his life that day but became a national hero."

The shot on the left is of the front, and the one on the right is the back of the medal.

Sorry the pictures aren't great (kind of dark). If anyone would like better ones, please let me know.

-Alex

Edited by RedMaestro

Thanks for editing the pictures Kev!

It's interesting to see another variation of the medal. Dave, in your piece, Colonel Bolognesi seems to have a much fiercer expression. I wonder why that was changed.

Does anyone know anything else about these? How many were awarded? What are they worth? I have only found one for sale so far on the internet, priced at ?48. I got mine for about half of that rolleyes.gif.

Chris, it took me FOREVER to find that medal. I looked in every antique store in Cuzco and Arequipa. I finally got lucky and bought this one 2 days before I left. Sorry you didn't have any luck when you were there.

-Alex

• 1 month later...

Will try to get more info in this particular medal. Some time ago I thought about doing a collection of Peruvian medals myself and the truth is that after some time with little luck I gave up. A friend of mine in the other hand has a fairly good one so I'll talk to him. In the meantime I include here a photograph of Coronel Francisco Bolognesi. He is the main hero of the Peruvian Army.

I see that some members visit arround here so this is my phone number in Lima (051-1) 33440971 at home and 5136300 ext. 2090 at the university. As a historian and with friends that collect almost everything I might be of some help so count on me.

Eduardo

Edited by Eduardo

Nice find and a beautiful order. There's so much outside of the realm of "German" that so many collectors miss out on. The ODM from many, many countries are superb and beautiful. Post away!

I cannot imagine what a nice vacation this must have been. the seat of so much power & history in what once was "The New World".

Hi Eduardo!

Thanks for your help and for the picture! Just out of curiosity, what is your main area of collecting? I agree with you that it seems difficult to collect Peruvian medals. I had a hard time finding this one. There is a seller on ebay based in Lima that has them from time to time. They are very nice though! Do you know if any sort of documentation was issued with them?

Stogieman, it was an extremely interesting vacation. The scenery was spectacular and quite unrivaled in all my travels. Culturally, it was far different from anything I had ever experienced before; it was my first time in South America. I had a chance to apply my limited knowledge of Spanish, which proved enough to get by without too much difficulty. I found the blend of traditions intriguing, and also the fact that many people prefer to stick to traditional native methods. The people I talked to still farmed the land the same way the Incas had, not because they were unable to use more modern techniques, but because they liked that way more. Overall, it was a great trip and I would certainly recommend it!

-Alex

Thanks Alex for your words on my country. Per? is a pluricultural country full of enriching experiences. My fields of study -at my 62 years - have been several but mainly have done economic history of Peru focusing in the monetary aspect. Have a few books on the subject. My collections are WWI post cards; Peruvian early postcards and protographs of Peruvian presidents and other important people, mainly XIX century. I teach history at two local universities. Besides History and economics I have a degree in Heritage so I insist that am ready to help any member of the GMIC who comes here.

There is documentation of the subject of decorations and have already begun asking and cheking. Here I include a photograph of Adm. Miguel Grau, mentioned by Jonatan.

Eduardo

P.S. If you want to have a general view of the country read "Customs and Cultures of Peru" Greenwood Press, Westport CT. 2003. With Dr. Ferreira, a Peruvian at Oklahoma Univ. we tried to give a full updated historical and cultural view of the country.

Jonatan, welcome!!!

Peru is indeed a wonderful place to visit. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. Like with many places 1) be careful and 2) dont expect much militaria to bring home.

With that in mind you will have a happy stay.