News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

"For prominent successes in school and Soviet education of children in rural schools, for outstanding organization of education, and active participation in village social life, award the following persons with:

". . . .

"[ORDER OF THE RED BANNER OF LABOR]"

Guest Rick Research

I find that as a term in my SOVIET Russian dictionary... presumably it was a school that went to our high school grades but did NOT confer a diploma... however that would have worked.

At least we know that even though she lost her Orders Book during the occupation, she SURVIVED. :beer:

Where are these newspaper award lists coming from? Have you got somebody who can check the dates closest to Orders Book award/privileges dates, or are thes (miracles sometimes happen) indexed?

Where are these newspaper award lists coming from? Have you got somebody who can check the dates closest to Orders Book award/privileges dates, or are thes (miracles sometimes happen) indexed?

There is no index that I am aware of, but taking the information in the award booklet, my researher is able to find the presidium orders and then, as available, check local papers in and around that date. No simple way (and no cheap way), but for labor awards ANYTHING is something!

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Very interessting post Ed!

I checked with the libraries here in Sweden to see if they had "Vedomosti verkhovnogo soveta". They do, but only from 1943-1991. I guess this is good news if I ever get a order awarded after 1943... Do you know if later issued order lists were published in the same way as early ones? I suspect that it changed as the award system changed. In the 30s an order of the Badge of Honor was something, not so much in the 80s...

/Kim

I find that as a term in my SOVIET Russian dictionary... presumably it was a school that went to our high school grades but did NOT confer a diploma... however that would have worked.

Here is how it worked, for the inquiring minds.

During Stalin's times, the education system went as follows:

- nachalnaya shkola ("beginner" or elementary school): grades 1-4

- nepolnaya srednyaya shkola (incomplete secondary): grades 5-7

- polnaya srednyaya shkola (full secondary): grades 8-10

Grade 4 was required minimum for rural areas, grade 7 - for urban areas. Grade 7 graduates were free to continue education in 2 year tech/trade schools and become blue-collar professionals. Only polnaya srednyaya shkola gave an HS diploma and allowed the graduate to apply to college.

I dont remember when the system was changed off-hand, but by the time I started school in late 1970s, nepolnaya srednyaya shkola was extended to grade 8 and became the mandatory minimum for both urban abd rural areas.

• 2 years later...

I cannot believe that I have missed this one over the past few years!! This one must be one of your crown jewels of your collection! A beautiful item with an even more interesting history.