News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal for Children's Wefare in Iraq, 1941

Just found this beauty online and i think it is the Nut Himayat al-Atfal fi al-Iraq, 1941 / Medal for Children's Wefare in Iraq, 1941 i was wondering if anyone could confirm my suspicion and also give me an idea of the price one of these usually sells for.

It's not really in my collecting theme but i think i may have got a bargain and i can't pass up one of those. I've tried on other forums to find out for sure what this is but havn't had any luck yet.

Cheers

Chris

This is definitely the medal you describe. I paid in the region of $50 for one in its presentation case a few years ago in Baghdad. They are relatively scarce and your example appears to be in very condition. :cheers:

Gentlemen,

I detail below a translation I obtained of the Arabic Laws concerning this award and which was used alomg with other translations as the basis for my JOMSA article on the awards of the Kingdom of Iraq - published inthe January/february 2006 issue. I hope this helps.

Owain

Iraq Child Welfare Medal

Iraq Government Gazette No.17, 27 April 1941

182. IRAQ CHILD WELFARE MEDAL LAW NO. 21 OF 1941

With the approval of the Senate and Chamber of Deputies, I hereby order the promulgation of the following Law:-

Article 1

A medal to be called ?Child welfare Medal? shall be created. It shall be of three kinds (1) Gold, (2) Silver, and (3) Copper. The designs, colour of ribbons, and the manner of earning and wearing shall be defined by regulation.

Article 2

The medal may be awarded by Royal Irada in the proposal of the Minister of Social Affairs.

Article 3

Iraqis awarded the Gold or Silver kinds of this medal shall pay a fee to be determined by regulation provided that such fee shall not exceed three dinars.

Article 4

This Law shall come into force from the date of its publication in the Official Gazette.

Article 6

The Minister of Social Affairs is charged with execution of this Law.

Made at Baghdad this 14th day of Safar, 1360, and the 12th day of March, 1941.

ABDULILAH

TAHA AL HASHMI HAMDI AL PACHACHI

Prime Minister and Minister of Social Affairs

Ag. Minister of Defence

(Published in the Waqayi? al ?Iraqiya No. 1888 of 22-3-41)

----0000----

Iraq Government Gazette No.40, 5 October 1941

615. CHILD WELFARE MEDAL REGULATION NO. 44 OF 1941

After perusal of Article 1 of the Iraq Child Welfare Medal Law No.21 of 1941, pursuant to the proposal of the Minister of Social Affairs and with the approval of the Council of Ministers, I hereby order the promulgation of the following Regulation:-

Article 1

The Medal in its three classes shall be composed of a seven-pointed star of one millimetre thickness and a diameter (the circle passing around the apex of the points) of four centimetres. Directly underneath the top point there shall be engraved an enamel seven-pointed star in red and inside it an enamel seven-pointed star in white. There shall be inscribed under this star the words ?Iraq Child Welfare Medal? in the form of an ellipse semi-circle. Beneath these words there shall be engraved in red enamelled figures the year in which the medal was created and beneath these figures there shall be engraved two ears of corn intersecting one another.

The medal shall be suspended by a red and white ribbon. The white will be one third of the total width and shall be in the centre with equal widths of red on either side. The ribbon shall be threaded through a rectangular strip of the same metal six centimetres long and three and a half centimetres wide which shall be attached to the apex (of the medal) by a small link.

Article 2

The medal in its three classes shall be worn on the left side of the wearer?s chest.

Article 3

The owner of the medal may wear it on the occasion of formal and public holidays and ceremonies.

Article 4

This medal is awarded on the proposal of the Minister of Social Affairs following recommendation of the Administrative Authority of the General Headquarters of the Iraq Child Welfare Society to persons rendering a service beneficial to the aims of the Iraq Child Welfare Society, and it is conditional when awarding the golden class thereof that the service should be a distinguished and specific one.

Article 5

There shall be recovered from those who are awarded the medal a fee of I.D 2/- fro the golden class and I.D.1/- for the silver class.

Article 6

This Regulation shall come into force from the date of its publication in the Official Gazette.

Article 7

The Minister of Social Affairs is charged with execution of this Law.

Made at Baghdad this 26th day of Rajab, 1360, and the 12th day of August, 1941.

ABDULILAH

JAMIL AL MADFA?I ALI JAWDAT AL AYOUBI

Prime Minister Minister of Foreign Affairs

MUSTAFA AL ?UMARI IBRAHIM KAMAL

Minister of Interior Minister of Finance &

Ag. Minister of Justice

NADHAF AL SHAWI JALAL BABAN

Minister of Defence Minister of Coms. & Works

NASRAT AL FARISI MUHAMMAD RIDAH AL SHIBIBI

Minister of Economics Minister of Education

JA?FAR HAMANDI

Minister of Social Affairs

(Published in the Waqayi? al ?Iraqiya No. ?? of ??-41)

----0000----

Iraq Government Gazette No.46, 14 November 1954

1702. REGULATION No.5 of 1952 AMENDING THE CHILD WELFARE MEDAL REGULATION NO. 44 OF 1941

After perusal of Article 1 of the Iraq Child Welfare Medal Law No.21 of 1941, pursuant to the proposal of the Minister of Social Affairs and with the approval of the Council of Ministers, I hereby order the promulgation of the following Regulation:-

Article 1

Para (20 of Article I of the Child Welfare Medal Regulation No.44 of 1941 shall be deleted and substituted by the following:-

The medal shall be suspended by a red ribbon with a white stripe, provided that the white stripe shall make up one third of the total width of the ribbon, and the other white stripe shall make up one third of the total width of the ribbon, and the other two stripes, on either side, shall make up the other two thirds. The ribbon shall be threaded through a little ring fixed to the upper point of the seven-pointed star.

Article 2

This Regulation shall come into force from the date of its publication in the Official Gazette.

Article 3

The Minister of Social Affairs is charged with execution of this Regulation.

Made at Baghdad this 18th day of Rabi? al-Thani, 1371, and the 15th day of January, 1952.

ABDULILAH

NOURI AL-SA?ID MUSTAFA AL-UMARI

Prime Minister Minister without Portfolio

OMAR NADHMI MOHAMMED HASSN KUBBA

Minister of Interior Minister without Portfolio

MAJED MUSTAFA SHAKIR AL-WADI

Minister of Social Affairs Minister of Defence and

Act. Minister for foreign Affairs

JAMIL ABDULWAHAB DHIA? JA?AFAR

Minister of Justice Minister of Coms. & Works &

Act. Minister of Finance

KHALIL KANNA ABDULMAJID MAHMOUD

Minister of Education Minister of Economics

(Published in the Waqayi? al ?Iraqiya No. 3062 of 11/2/1952)

----0000----

Thanks so much for the info and the welcome guys. I paid $110 for just the medal but i had never seen another before only mini's so i think it is also a very scarce award and it is in great shape on its original ribbon. It's an investment that i'm sure will pay off in the long run. I collect primarily medals to the CEF in WW1 with a focus on men from Medicine Hat, AB. and also gallantry and long service groups to the CASC and CAMC.

Prices in my collecting field have gone up to the point where ive been almost forced out so i've began to diversify my collecting intersts.

Cheers

Chris

To my experience, these are quite uncommon and very nice. The only specimen I was able to acquire (back when I was still getting Iraqi ODM, pre-US-invasion) was a miniature. A nice one indeed!

Guest IMHF

The images you sent me look way to new????? Could be a Huguenin (Le Locle, Switzerland) copy?????? My Wisam al Jadara is made by Huguenin and the other I have is made by Arthus Bertrand.

The medal is in extremely nice condition short of the small nick to the white enamell. I feel that this medal is a speciman piece made by whoever was awarded the contract (possibly Huguenin) but that it was never issued. The ribbon is an old weave (i know not definative proof but does help) and doesn't appear to have ever been attached to a suspender. I would suspect that if this medal is being copied we would see copies much more frequently.

Cheers

Chris