News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Italy - Silver Bravery medal

Hi,

Does anyone know how many were awarded in WW1?

Are the citations to be found anywhere?

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris.

I don't know how many medals are awarded (I think many thousand). If you have name & date on medal is it possible (it can be hard) to find citacion.

Rarity it depend when & where was awarded.

IP

• 2 weeks later...

Here is mine.

I hope it is an Official piece, I have recently learned that there are copies of these...

Hi Chris, your medal is a copy. Only Z F.G. are official (like CCJ's one).

More copy are double of original medal, for wearing on parade and take original in a box. Other copies are for Bravery association banner (they put 1 medal for each awarded person).

IP

Hi,

How do you tell the difference?

Thanks

Chris

Original has this mark: Crowned Z is for Regia Zecca (royal mint) & FG for Giuseppe Ferraris, who designed the medal on 1831, when was insituited.

There are many private coins, also marked with SJ, 38 MI, Amafoso, etc..

Is it possible that was awarded medals not well marked Z FG 'on the field', normally without name and date (named later), but it's impossible to know if there are the 'original' or copy.

In Italy only Z FG (or older model only FG marked) are collected as original. Other models not so collected too much, & value are about 1/3 of a Zecca production.

I picked up the CCJ picture to show marks

IP

Hello,

all original Medals for Valour, have to be emitted from the Royal (Sardinian, then Italian) Mint. Italianpolitic gave a good idea already, but here follows a list of the type of markings a collector should look for:

"F.G": for medals awarded from 1833 to 1859 (and especially in the 1848-49 campaign, with a very narrow suspension loop)

"F.G" and the reverse inscription "SPEDIZIONE D'ORIENTE 1855 1856" for those awarded in the Crimean Capaign 1855-56 (also with a narrow suspension loop);

"F.G." for the medals awarded from 1859 to 1866 (also considering the types with the reverse inscription "GUERRA CONTRO L'IMPERO D'AUSTRIA";

"F.G." with the inscription "CAMPAGNA D'ANCONA 1860";

"F.G." and the reverse inscription "CAMPAGNA DELL'ITALIA MERIDIONALE 1860";

"F.G." and the reverse inscription "CAMPAGNA DELLA BASSA ITALIA 1860 -1861";

crowned "Z" and "F.G" for the medals minted in Rome after 1880 and awarded during the whole WW1.

crowned "Z" for the medals awarded from the 30's and during the whole WW2.

There are also officially awarded medals without the mint mark, as awarded from the Ministry of Aviation during WW2, but they're an exception.

The most important modern work about Italian Medals & Decorations is the 2-volumes set of Adriano and Alessandro Brambilla "Le Medaglie Italiane degli ultimi 200 Anni" (Italian Medals from the last 200 Years): both volumes are now rare to find, but the author is completing the new revised and enlarged edition, fully illustrated in colour, that is planned to be published also in English, during the next year.

Best wishes,

Elmar Lang

Edited by Elmar Lang

Hi Elmar,

I sempyfied the answer because the questions are about 1ww valour medal. I know, of course, all Italian Mint marks. The only book (at the time) for valour medal is from Stato Maggiore (Cezanne made), with integral decree of all medals issued. For oldest items (risorimental medal) the Hayden book are OK (but not explain so much).

I'm waiting for Brambilla new issue :jumping: .

IP

PS Nice to meet you in this rooms. B

Edited by italianpolitic

The most important modern work about Italian Medals & Decorations is the 2-volumes set of Adriano and Alessandro Brambilla "Le Medaglie Italiane degli ultimi 200 Anni" (Italian Medals from the last 200 Years): both volumes are now rare to find, but the author is completing the new revised and enlarged edition, fully illustrated in colour, that is planned to be published also in English, during the next year.

One more very educational thread. Thanks, all. :beer:

And the word on the new edition of this immensely rare book is good news indeed. Please keep us updated! :jumping::jumping:

Hello,

I won't forget to update about Brambilla's new edition. We've been discussing about it a few weeks ago and I'm happy about his decision to publish it also in English.

I've seen the draft and it's impressive: (almost) every medal from the former Italian States until the Kingdom of Italy, is illustrated in colour and described with any detail, bibliograpy and archival sources, from the most rare medals for valour of the Sardinian Kingdom (Kings Victor Amadeus III and Charles Emanuel IV), to the unique gilt-cannon bronze Military Merit Medal to the Commander of the Cuneo Brigade (1821), to some immensely rare medals from the Duchy of Modena, Parma, Two Siciles, etc..., until the most common campaign medals, their ribbons, etc.. Nearly 500 pages, devoted to one of the most fascinating and relatively less known fields of European Phaleristic.

The books from the Italian History Office of the General Staff (Ufficio Storico dello Stato Maggiore) are highly important because they contain all the decrees and codes on the institution and the regulations of almost all Italian Medals for Valour, Merit and Commemorative Medals, excluding those of the former Italian States. Those books are highly interesting, but they show the age when they've been published.

In some ways, the 1910 von Heyden can still be very useful (besides the many mistakes, especially about ribbons and metal...).

I'm happy that some threads would be opened about the Italian Orders & Decorations. I'm fond of Imperial Austrian phaleristic, but I won't miss what could be discussed in this room!

Best wishes,

Enzo (Elmar Lang)

P.S.: to Italianpolitic: nice to meet an Italian colleague in these international rooms!

Hello,

I won't forget to update about Brambilla's new edition. We've been discussing about it a few weeks ago and I'm happy about his decision to publish it also in English.

Enzo (Elmar Lang)

I'd very much like to have one of these books if available in English. I'm fond of Italian militaria from the WW1 era.

Hello,

I've seen the draft and it's impressive: (almost) every medal from the former Italian States until the Kingdom of Italy, is illustrated in colour and described with any detail, bibliograpy and archival sources, from the most rare medals for valour of the Sardinian Kingdom (Kings Victor Amadeus III and Charles Emanuel IV), to the unique gilt-cannon bronze Military Merit Medal to the Commander of the Cuneo Brigade (1821), to some immensely rare medals from the Duchy of Modena, Parma, Two Siciles, etc..., until the most common campaign medals, their ribbons, etc.. Nearly 500 pages, devoted to one of the most fascinating and relatively less known fields of European Phaleristic.

The books from the Italian History Office of the General Staff (Ufficio Storico dello Stato Maggiore) are highly important because they contain all the decrees and codes on the institution and the regulations of almost all Italian Medals for Valour, Merit and Commemorative Medals, excluding those of the former Italian States. Those books are highly interesting, but they show the age when they've been published.

In some ways, the 1910 von Heyden can still be very useful (besides the many mistakes, especially about ribbons and metal...).

I'm happy that some threads would be opened about the Italian Orders & Decorations. I'm fond of Imperial Austrian phaleristic, but I won't miss what could be discussed in this room!

Best wishes,

Enzo (Elmar Lang)

P.S.: to Italianpolitic: nice to meet an Italian colleague in these international rooms!

Elmar,

I really hope that new Brambilla edition is the definitive book (also for english tests) for italian medals and correct mistakes of older edition of SM, Heyden & so on (many author copies notice & mistake from this older books & don't made new research about medals) :rolleyes:

Those books have more than 30 years & of course many notice are wrong or not exact & are only in italian language. But they have picture & Brambilla's first edition has handmade designs (& good information too)

Please let us know when book are printed.

Ciao,

IP

Hello,

all original Medals for Valour, have to be emitted from the Royal (Sardinian, then Italian) Mint. Italianpolitic gave a good idea already, but here follows a list of the type of markings a collector should look for:

"F.G": for medals awarded from 1833 to 1859 (and especially in the 1848-49 campaign, with a very narrow suspension loop)

"F.G" and the reverse inscription "SPEDIZIONE D'ORIENTE 1855 1856" for those awarded in the Crimean Capaign 1855-56 (also with a narrow suspension loop);

"F.G." for the medals awarded from 1859 to 1866 (also considering the types with the reverse inscription "GUERRA CONTRO L'IMPERO D'AUSTRIA";

"F.G." with the inscription "CAMPAGNA D'ANCONA 1860";

"F.G." and the reverse inscription "CAMPAGNA DELL'ITALIA MERIDIONALE 1860";

"F.G." and the reverse inscription "CAMPAGNA DELLA BASSA ITALIA 1860 -1861";

crowned "Z" and "F.G" for the medals minted in Rome after 1880 and awarded during the whole WW1.

crowned "Z" for the medals awarded from the 30's and during the whole WW2.

There are also officially awarded medals without the mint mark, as awarded from the Ministry of Aviation during WW2, but they're an exception.

Best wishes,

Elmar Lang

Hi Enzo

Great info :D

Have you an idea on just how many Al Valore silver medals were given for each war in the 19th century or estimate for total amount awarded throughout the 19th century. I ask this question to get an idea to know just how rare they are. What would be the measurements in mm for the narrow suspension & was the ball/ring suspension ever officially isseued or were just converted over by the owner. Thanks a lot.

Sincerely

Brian