News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Officer candidate : basic question

Hello all

which insignias may have an officer candidate on his tunic ? Is it : standard oberfeldwebel collar tabs but officer silver piping around the collar instead of NCO's tresse ? What about the shoulder boards ?

Have you some good pics to show ? Period or today's items ?

Thanks a lot

Edited by New Kid

Offiziersanw?rter ranks Wehrmacht

Fahnenjunker = usually Unteroffizier shoulder boards with Doppel-Tresse

F?hnrich = Feldwebel shoulder boards with Doppel-Tresse

Oberf?hnrich = Oberfeldwebel shoulder boards with Doppel-Tresse and NCO collar tabs and after exam Oberf?hnriche were allowed to wear the officers collar tabs with Oberfeldwebel shoulder boards.

Oberf?hnrich Panzergrenadier 1943

JochenPzGrRgt12_cr.jpg

Edited by Naxos

Hello all

which insignias may have an officer candidate on his tunic ? Is it : standard oberfeldwebel collar tabs but officer silver piping around the collar instead of NCO's tresse ? What about the shoulder boards ?

Have you some good pics to show ? Period or today's items ?

Thanks a lot

Hello...

That is correct. The LW is a little different than the Heer in this regard. The LW Officer Candidate did use the NCO uniform except that instead of the NCO collar tresse, the officer style silver cord is sewn to the outer collar. The Shoulder straps are the same as the NCO's except for the extra strip of tress(or cord) around the base of the strap. I will see if there are some pics I can post. The officer's head gear was authorized.

Regards

Paul

Hello...

That is correct. The LW is a little different than the Heer in this regard. The LW Officer Candidate did use the NCO uniform except that instead of the NCO collar tresse, the officer style silver cord is sewn to the outer collar. The Shoulder straps are the same as the NCO's except for the extra strip of tress(or cord) around the base of the strap. I will see if there are some pics I can post. The officer's head gear was authorized.

Regards

Paul

Here you go:

F?hnrich der Luftwaffe

File0003_cr-6.jpg

Edited by Naxos

Ok, thanks to you all ! Paul, your pics are welcome ! Naxos, on your photograph the NCO's tresse is still on the collar ?

Yes and the silver piping has been added as well

Edited by Naxos

Thanks for this picture ; he does not seem to have the extra strip of cord on the shoulder boards

Yes, just like the with the army counter part - once they qualified to wear the officer's style head gear, belt and other accouterment the strap was no longer worn on the NCO board.

I have permission from the seller of the HG version to use the photos. They belong to Chad. He wanted me to tell everyone that it is available. I wish I had the funds!!

This man would have worn the officer visor and side arm!

Here you can find the entire Handbook on German Military Forces, U.S. War Department Technical Manual TM-E 30-451 published in March 1945.

http://www.lonesentry.com/manuals/tme30/index.html

You will find the training of replacement officers at:

CHAPTER I. THE GERMAN MILITARY SYSTEM, VI. Conscription; Replacement and Training; 4. Training; d.) The training of Potential Officers

Edited by Naxos

Woh, big document ! Very interesting, even if I don't understand all. So, OCS stands for Officer Candidates School, right ?

I would like to apply new insignias on my salty four pockets to make it an officer candidate ; would these tabs be historically good (I've hidden the web site to preserve them from competition...) ? If I've understood, they should go with an officer cap since they have not silver cord around them, right ?

img-175123entlt.jpg

The tunic, that Paul already knows :

img-144653glvqn.jpg

Yes you're right, the material is a bit different... too bad

img-190447xyjj9.jpg

Nevertheless, a bit of what appears to be the same material is used in the cuffs, so perhaps it is not annoying :

img-190900tkokj.jpg

Finally maybe I will only put on officer insignias, I don't know.