News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

China Vet Medalbars

Guest Brian von Etzel

I hope my photos help just one person ID a medalbar...

http://www.vonetzel.com/

Look under the China Links.

Here's one photo of many already on there and many more to come.

Know who this is? One of the more highly decorated...

Guest Brian von Etzel

Brian, do you have an idea how a series of neck orders were suspended?

Bob, I do not know. I have seen photos like this and supposed it wasn't every day dress but just for the photo op? I couldn't imagine walking around with all this stuff on a normal basis. But that photo Rick likes to show of all those guys walking down the steps wearing ALL their enamel suggests it was done on a formal basis.

Bob, my question would be, how do you walk with all that enamel? Little baby steps so the enamel doesn't bounce. :jumping:

Nice photos. I have a question: When someone held the Red Eagle Order 3rd class with crown and bow, does that mean, that he had the 4th class also with crown? If he had the 4th class and gets the 3rd class with crown, does he get a bow too?

Gerd

No, the bow just indicates the promotion. Regardless of crown or else...

Brian, do you have an idea how a series of neck orders were suspended?

Hello Bob:

I actually have an answer to your question. The Commander/2nd Class grade neck Orders in the 2nd, 3rd, etc. positions were usually worn on a short length of Knight's Cross width ribbon with a buttonhole cut and sewing around the buttonhole to strengthen it. The ribbons with the orders attached were then placed over the button and buttoned into place as the tunic was fastened. I know this because I have an example of a SEHO Commander's cross with such a ribbon. Without seeing this example, I would never have figured this out. I believe that most Officers or civilian recipients didn't wear everything all of the time, only if there was a special occasion. I hope that this helps. Does anyone else out there have Commander/2nd Class neck Orders with buttonhole ribbons?

Thanks,

Schie?platzmeister

Guest Brian von Etzel

So, I had the answer and forgot I had it... OK, a little embarrassing...

Bob, I remembered the ribbons I had in a bag from where my grandfather placed them. Still in the original paper wrap. Matched them to the medals and stored them away in the safe deposit box in special museum storage boxes (but with clear plastic so they can be enjoyed but safe).

And here is the answer in full color on the St. Stanislaus.

Guest Brian von Etzel

Now having one and forgetting would be just an oversight, but more than one and it's just a little bit bordering on an altzheimer's moment...

Bob, here's the Order of the Rising Sun he wears in the photo on my website still bearing the button hole device as he last wore it.

Edited by Brian von Etzel

Hello everyone:

Hopefully, this will load properly. It is the ribbon to a SEHO Commander's Cross (sorry for the poor quality of my scan).

Thanks,

Schie?platzmeister

p.s.: I'm sorry but I can't get my scans to load. What Brian has shown is also the configuration that my ribbon is in.

Edited by Schie?platzmeister

• 2 weeks later...