News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

von Thoma, as 28th Spanish cross with diamonds recipient ?

Jacques

Few years ago a polemic occured on WAF concerning von Thoma. Bill Stump (RIP) showed a document of the spanish cross with diamonds attributed to von Thoma and stated that he was awarded the diamonds as 28th recipients. The document looked odd to me. Moreover, there was no clear picture available showing von Thoma with the diamonds. The only picture showed was from Bender's book and was very blurry. At that time, I didn't agreed this opinion. that opinion was shared by others that will read these lines.

Indeed, some books mention 28 recipients, other mention 27. In my opinion, only 27 soldiers were awarded the spanish cross with diamonds. All are from the Luftwaffe. During the ceremony which occured in Hamburg on May 31th, 1939, following the return of the LC troops in Germany, Hermann G?ring awarded crosses with diamonds and some gold crosses. At that time von Thoma received the gold cross, so did von Funck and another Army (Signal troops commander) officer.

I finally found a period picture showing von Thoma during the June 3rd ceremony in D?beritz. This front pic shows him with his cross. I tryed to enlarge the pic and I do think it is a gold cross without diamonds. Diamonds are generally clearly visible, making a bright ring around the center circle.

I think that this picture proves that von Thoma was not awarded the diamonds.

The picture shows Oberst von Thoma reviewing the Imker troops with von Brauchitsch on June 3rd, 1939 in D?beritz. Von Brauchitsch will award some gold and silver crosses to the Imker troop. von Thoma is wearing his spanish cross, the LC Pz badge, the "Medalla Militar" and the "Medalla de la campa?a".

Guest Rick Research

:beer: And Jacques wins the "Inspector Javert Prize" for long and determined search for PROOF. :cheeky:

That was never a tale that made sense. Despite the entry in "Virtuti Pro Patria" stating that he DID have diamonds, no period sources showed any such evidence... and the supposed "Nachlass" of the long dead, little-remembered bachelor did not bear close scrutiny.

And who knew that Ritter von Thoma looked like the actor Kirk Douglas in his prime?

A compilation of spanish cross with diamonds from period pics.

The top left is von Thoma's cross, to copare with the others which are from von Richthofen, Oesau, Galland, M?lders, Balthasar, L?tzow, Harlinghausen.

Jacques, good work but I ask this question...

Was it not the case that a famous pilot did not receive the SC with diamonds, only the gold class and kicked up a fuss and then later G?ring presented this pilot with a diamond SC?

If true, could this have happened with Von Thoma?

Rich

The two pilots reported to have been later awarded the diamonds (around 20th june) are Galland and Balthasar (7 victories), not von Thoma. Some other Army officers like Warlimont or von Funck should have been on the list before von Thoma.

I don't know if these two pilots kicked up a fuss to get the diamonds; other pilots riched the score of 7 victories and only got the gold cross.

jacques