News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Glory of the Virgin Land Cultivators

Bob

We didn't have this one covered yet.

One version in enamel, one painted.

Both numbered

Enameled: I have 31 with range known between 31 - 2,084

Painted: range known 2,214 - 3,869

• 2 weeks later...

We didn't have this one covered yet.

One version in enamel, one painted.

Both numbered

Enameled: I have 31 with range known between 31 - 2,084

Painted: range known 2,214 - 3,869

Nobody with a number in between 2214 and 2084?

Also - surely must be somebody with a booklet to put some dates next to this medal?

I own 31 and 2214 by the way.

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

00031 - enamel

01187 - enamel (with unnumbered booklet)

2214 - painted (also note: enamel of suspension is darker blue on this)

Soon arriving: - 3074... but with enamel (with numbered booklet) - this must be an odd one out...

Please all: post yours along with number so we can see if they switched back to enamel somewhere.

I have posted all of mine . . . exactly none . . . but I have high hopes of remedying this soon. You seem to have the entire captive population, Bob.

Can you scan the interior document spread please, so we can get the correct name of this odd (and rare) little gong.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Again, we don't yet know the "proper" name, but Battushig calls it the Medal "Glory of the Virgin Land Cultivators" (# A 52.1 and A 52.2). As this is in English, this is, of course, "wrong", but I hope we can remedy this soon. While this may be good enough, for some, in English, it is important to know the correct name.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

It is "Combat Land Developers." :rolleyes::P

Don't know, I have used the translation, however flawed, from the sole published English-language source of any redeeming value. Knowing the Mongolian (and then translating it accurately) will help, of course.

I guess it depends on whether the land fought back, Rick (the feudal aristocracy sure did...).

• 3 weeks later...
    • 8 months later...
    • 3 weeks later...

Back

Just, for the record, I have a similar doument to the one Bob showed, dating 16 December 1982. No number. This gives us (sort of) a date range for this style of award book.

No reason to scan it, though?

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• 4 months later...
    • 3 weeks later...

I agree with Bob. There's so many of the Mongolian pieces, including later ones, that are just drop-dead gorgeous. I think the real reason interest waned so quickly after the publication of Dr. Battashug's book is the fact that the "speculators" rushed in, drove prices through the roof and forced many budding collectors (like me) out as fast as we went in. When the pieces you like and/or want hit 4 digits and up in about 60 days, there's not much enthusiasm left. I think we're seeing the same situation with Soviet. Investor/speculators drove prices through the roof but we do appear to have hit the ceiling. I look at many websites every week and I'm not seeing movement of any type.... the stock just sits there week after week. Occassionally, pieces are removed and mysteriously re-appear six months later.

For me, I read and review everything posted. I still very much enjoy these pieces but simply cannot afford to even consider them as an area of anything other than pure academic study. For that, I am very grateful for this forum/website and the tireless efforts of many of you that keep me reading here constantly.