News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My other WWII medal bar

Hi all,

Here's the next installment in my WWII medal bars. Again any comments, opinions, etc., would be most welcome. Can't wait until I can get a copy of McDaniel's book so I can join the rest of the Soviet awards collectors universe! :jumping:

And especially opinions on it's merit for research are also most welcome. :rolleyes:

Once again here are the numbers:

Order of Glory (743,693)

For Valor (3,376,705)

Combat Service (2,952,415)

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Enjoy! :cheers:

Dan

Hi Dan,

What is the source of this bar ? The ribbons and the suspension are very new compared to the medals which have some wear. And they (ribbons and suspension) have been put together, let's say... in a non professional manner.

But this does not prevent the group to be a real one, instead of a made up one... Again, where is this group coming from ?

I just hope I'm not playing the bad cop here... :P

Cheers.

Ch.

Hi Dan,

What is the source of this bar ? The ribbons and the suspension are very new compared to the medals which have some wear. And they (ribbons and suspension) have been put together, let's say... in a non professional manner.

But this does not prevent the group to be a real one, instead of a made up one... Again, where is this group coming from ?

I just hope I'm not playing the bad cop here... :P

Cheers.

Ch.

Hi Christophe,

Hey, I said any and all comments. :D I actually got these quite a few years ago when we lived down in Florida. Was from a fellow who lived over in Tallahassee but had some things in one of those "antique malls" over in one of the next towns over, Havana which had a good sized antique district.

He sold under the initials DERK but for the life of me I can't remember his name right off hand. I may have it somewhere but we're still digging through boxes after our move so no telling. I even tried doing a google search as I think he used to have a site. He also dealt in diecast cars, military vehicles, German steins, etc. Worked for the prison system down there. I just fell out of touch with tons of folks after awhile as I got into other things.

Of course I guess the only way to be absolutely sure is to get something researched and see if it all comes back together.

On the ribbons there's no telling as you know how often such things can be replaced... they get worn out, etc. All I know is they're literally the way I got them... still in the riker mount. :D

But by all means if you can think of another way to tell please don't hesitate to let me know. That's one of the reasons for this great club after all... to learn all we can and try to keep things as accurate and original as possible. :D

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

Guest Darrell

Hi Dan, no doubt that the pendants appear original, it's just that we see the same wierd method of ribbon attachment (after the suspensions were put together) and brand new looking 5 sided devices. Almost identical to the ORB grouping you posted.

Edited by Darrell

Hi Dan, no doubt that the pendants appear original, it's just that we see the same wierd method of ribbon attachment (after the suspensions were put together) and brand new looking 5 sided devices. Almost identical to the ORB grouping you posted.

Definitely velly strange! But I'm looking at all this in the best light possible. I don't have alot in them, probably what the individual medals themselves would have run back then outside of a group so don't think I did bad at all. And I love them and guess that's what counts. :love:

But again, would any of the ones pictured on either bar be good candidates for research or would it most likely be a waste of time and money on these?

I'm going to be posting the rest of my Soviet Orders and medals that are numbered but as several are labor I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be worth it from what I've heard in the past. But I have been hoping and praying that "something" I have would be worth it. I do so envy everyone who has done it and gotten back histories... even if it's nothing spectacular, at least they're able to place a name and some history with the award. Sure it's great to find out it was Stalin's pool man or something really neat and quirky but just to "know" who it belonged to originally and "dream of dreams" to get a picture of them actually wearing the self same award(s)... I just can't imagine it getting much better than that.

Anyhoo, I'm off to make more posts. Will work hard on getting more of the Soviet pieces up to see what ya'll think.

Dan

(...) And I love them and guess that's what counts. :love: (...)

Dan

Hi Dan,

That's the most important. ;)

To make you an idea of what we meant regardong the suspension, please have a look at Soviet Dealers websites... You will find here a lot of examples that will help you making your own opinion.

And don't forget the Mondvor website!!!

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Ch.

Hi Dan,

That's the most important. ;)

To make you an idea of what we meant regardong the suspension, please have a look at Soviet Dealers websites... You will find here a lot of examples that will help you making your own opinion.

And don't forget the Mondvor website!!!

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Ch.

I'm not familiar with that site... I don't think. Unless I've seen it and haven't heard it referred to that way. Could you send me a link?

Mucho thanks! :cheers:

Dan

Hi Christophe,

Many thanks for the link. Do they have an English version of the site by chance? I was going to check via google or yahoo as they often have a "translate this page" option if nothing else, but for some reason I can't get them to work right now. No idea if they're having problems of if it's something else.

I'll keep trying.

Dan

No only in Russian. What else should we expect? Sites on US or British medals tend to be only in English. While far from perfect, the various online translation engines give you the pidgin-Russian version. I like

http://www.online-translator.com/default.asp?lang=en

but there are dozens.

Hi Ed,

Many thanks. Was kind of afraid of that. And yes, you're quite right and excellent point! Our stuff is generally not done in Russian either. I think we all just need to agree on a common language, quite all this fussing and fighting in the world, get on giant starships and go out in search of new civilizations beyond the stars... and collect their militaria! :lol::D:P:beer::jumping:

Dan