News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all,

Here's the first of my DDR uniforms... Transportation Police:

[attachmentid=52240]

Tunic and peaked cap. Sadly no slacks. Still has the tag on the sleeve.

I just realized this doesn't show the patch on the sleeve. Will have to try to do some more pics later. Or might just do a scan of it and the tag.

Dan :cheers:

Edited by Hauptman

[attachmentid=52246]

The tunic is a size M44. The info in the cap is MdI size 56 1856 Y. And the cap comes complete with East German newspaper or other printed material in the inside as a stiffener as is so common in so many of their caps. :P

Edited by Hauptman

That is a really nice example. This is the first one I have ever seen with the piping around the tabs!!!

Here are mine... I apologize for the poor photos, yet I have mine in boxes at the time... and dont have easy access.

Hi Paul,

"VERY NICE"!!!! :love::jumping: Ya know... if they ever want to start the DDR back up again... all they've gotta do is give us a shout and if they can afford our naturally up to date and much more inflated prices then I'm sure we could be pursuaded to sell back enough to get them up and running again! :cheeky:

This is just truly amazing... the uniforms, insignia and equipment of nearly an entire nation squirred away in private collections around the world. Just astounds me when I think about it sometimes. And to think that from all of those Warsaw Pact countries, barely anything got out until after the wall fell and then boom... like K-Mart blew up! Stuff all over the place at rock bottom prices. :cheeky:

I'd love to get an officers at some point. Plus as much as I wanted to doll mine up with some ribbons and awards I'm not really sure what to put on it. The extremely few ribbons I have would work on any police uniform but they're mostly long service... and without the sleeve chevron to indicate matching total of long service I don't think it would look right. Plus, I'd forgotten about that label on the sleeve so guessing it's best to just leave it in an unissued state.

I'm also assuming these folks would have worn the black belt and I've only got the brown NVA officers belt and the web field belt. Don't even have any of the brocade types which I dearly want some day. I've got a Border Guard Colonel uniform and need the brocade for it as I already have the dress cords. Also need a BG officers peaked cap... but would prefer in 59 to 60 size so have been searching for one at a decent price. I much prefer to get the bigger sizes as those seem to dry up quicker than the rest.

And at some point I need some full manequins... although finding those cheap is like finding hen's teeth! :cheeky:

On the piping around the tabs... any idea what it might have signified?

Mucho thanks for sharing! Loved seeing them and if you or any other members have or get more TRAPO items I'd love to see. Don't generally see much about this bunch. :cheers:

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your kind compliments.

I have not an idea what the tab piping signifies... maybe a really late uniform regulation change?

Start a thread for each of your tunic types! We can all add what we have!

Regards

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Paul R and Hauptman,

The piping around the collar tabs was for officers. Very nice to have both an EM and an Officers tunic for the Haubschreiber.

You don't need sleeve chevrons to put a long servcie ribbon bar on a TRAPO uniform. The sleeve chevrons were discontinued some time before the demise of the DDR.

Regards,

Gordon

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your kind compliments.

I have not an idea what the tab piping signifies... maybe a really late uniform regulation change?

Start a thread for each of your tunic types! We can all add what we have!

Regards

Paul

Paul R and Hauptman,

The piping around the collar tabs was for officers. Very nice to have both an EM and an Officers tunic for the Haubschreiber.

You don't need sleeve chevrons to put a long servcie ribbon bar on a TRAPO uniform. The sleeve chevrons were discontinued some time before the demise of the DDR.

Regards,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Okay, I'm a bit confused. Is mine an officers uniform then? And if so, are the shoulder boards incorrect?

And on the following which ribbons do you think would be best to be displayed with this uniform?

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=9177

Mucho thanks! :cheers:

Dan

Hauptman,

Sorry, but I should have been clearer in my remarks about collar tab piping. Lets start with your uniforms, the first one you posted, and go from there.

Your first uniform is for the "MdI u. Kompanien der Transportpolizei". This was a special group for rapid deployment for major incidents. They wore the blue piped cloth collar tabs as shown on your uniform. These uniforms are getting much harder to get and have gone up in price considerably lately. It was made in the first quarter of 1980. The flight collar tabs follow air force regs are are silver pipped for officers unpiped for EM.

On the regular TRAPO uniforms, with the metal collar tabs, standard police practice is followed. Enlisted men will have collar tabs with a single strand of twisted fibre in the centre while officers will have a double strand of twisted fibre. The rank on the two officers uniforms are for Unterleutnant and Hauptman.

I'll have to take a closer look at your ribbon bars before I suggest what you could put on what uniform.

Regards,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Okay, I'm a bit confused. Is mine an officers uniform then? And if so, are the shoulder boards incorrect?

And on the following which ribbons do you think would be best to be displayed with this uniform?

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=9177

Mucho thanks! :cheers:

Dan

Hauptman,

Sorry, but I should have been clearer in my remarks about collar tab piping. Lets start with your uniforms, the first one you posted, and go from there.

Your first uniform is for the "MdI u. Kompanien der Transportpolizei". This was a special group for rapid deployment for major incidents. They wore the blue piped cloth collar tabs as shown on your uniform. These uniforms are getting much harder to get and have gone up in price considerably lately. It was made in the first quarter of 1980. The flight collar tabs follow air force regs are are silver pipped for officers unpiped for EM.

On the regular TRAPO uniforms, with the metal collar tabs, standard police practice is followed. Enlisted men will have collar tabs with a single strand of twisted fibre in the centre while officers will have a double strand of twisted fibre. The rank on the two officers uniforms are for Unterleutnant and Hauptman.

I'll have to take a closer look at your ribbon bars before I suggest what you could put on what uniform.

Regards,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Many thanks for all your help so far. So... do I take it then that mine is indeed an enlisted albeit from that special unit? If so, do you know what rank?

Would be curious to know the value since you say they've gone up. I got these in a large group of DDR uniforms... well, I think six or eight some odd... if that counts as a large group. :P From what I remember I probably only had like $35 in the entire bunch if that.

If you'd be more comfortable PM'ing the info that would be fine too.

I only wish I had the slacks for this one to make it more complete. Had no idea it was anything special... but definitely appreciate that info. My son likes this one more than just about all the ones I have so I'll have to let him know he has good taste. :P:beer:

Will continue to stay in a holding pattern re: the ribbon bars. And of course if adding such would in any way effect the value of this one in a negative way then I'm happy to leave it as is.

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

Dan,

Yes your uniform is from the special unit and is an enlisted mans uniform. The rank is for Wachmeister. This particular tunic is now bringing about five times what you paid for the whole lot.

Cheers,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Many thanks for all your help so far. So... do I take it then that mine is indeed an enlisted albeit from that special unit? If so, do you know what rank?

Would be curious to know the value since you say they've gone up. I got these in a large group of DDR uniforms... well, I think six or eight some odd... if that counts as a large group. :P From what I remember I probably only had like $35 in the entire bunch if that.

If you'd be more comfortable PM'ing the info that would be fine too.

I only wish I had the slacks for this one to make it more complete. Had no idea it was anything special... but definitely appreciate that info. My son likes this one more than just about all the ones I have so I'll have to let him know he has good taste. :P:beer:

Will continue to stay in a holding pattern re: the ribbon bars. And of course if adding such would in any way effect the value of this one in a negative way then I'm happy to leave it as is.

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

Dan,

Yes your uniform is from the special unit and is an enlisted mans uniform. The rank is for Wachmeister. This particular tunic is now bringing about five times what you paid for the whole lot.

Cheers,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Wow! Many thanks for that additional info. :beer: I've got to say... I think it's the "only" piece of DDR militaria I've ever obtained that's actually gone up signficantly in value. Oh, and I take it that's as I have it including the cap, correct?

Are the pants for these just standard TRAPO pants or are they special in some way? And would it be a good idea to add a pair to the set should I ever come across any? Anything else it would be good to add? I'd love to make the most complete set I could. Shirt perhaps... tie... sidecap, etc? And would the belt and buckle be special or a standard black with the rectangular NVA buckle? At least I'm assuming a black belt with this color of uniform. So far I only have the brown double claw officers buckles and the web NVA. I have absolutely no references on DDR police formations so any guidance on this would be deeply appreciated. Methinks I need to get one of those reference discs with tons of books on a CD.

Again I'd also love to dress it up for display but A) due to the original label would that look incorrect to do so? and B) would it in any way affect the value of the tunic to do so? I'd certainly not want to put any awards on it that are screwback... as far as the ribbons or anything pinback I could "carefully" sew in a few thread loops in order to hold such awards... whereby they could easily be removed at a later date and there would be no evidence that anything had been there. I'm thinking that would probably be the way to go with ribbons and such if that sounds good.

Mucho thanks! :jumping::jumping::beer:

Dan,

The price I quoted was for the tunic and excludes the hat. As far as I know, standard TRAPO pants would work ok with this tunic. You can add pants if you wish but it would not necessarily increase the price of the uniform beyond what the pants cost you. I always like to have shirts and ties with my uniforms but that is not always possible. A side cap would be a part of the regular uniform. If you displayed this tunic with trousers no belt would be worn. If it was displayed with breeches and boots the black belt would be worn.

To me, labels, indicating an unissued uniform, detract from the effect and I would not leave the label on the tunic if I were going to display it. Labels do not add to the price of a tunic. Just the opposite. Most collectors prefer to have uinforms that were issued and look a bit used. Makes them more authentic. With this tunic, as rare as they are, it wouldn't hurt at all to remove the label.

I don't know about adding thread loops. Unless as you say, you remove them later. I have a few uniforms that have thread loops on them but they are very early uniforms and the thread loops were original to the tunic.

Regards,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Wow! Many thanks for that additional info. :beer: I've got to say... I think it's the "only" piece of DDR militaria I've ever obtained that's actually gone up signficantly in value. Oh, and I take it that's as I have it including the cap, correct?

Are the pants for these just standard TRAPO pants or are they special in some way? And would it be a good idea to add a pair to the set should I ever come across any? Anything else it would be good to add? I'd love to make the most complete set I could. Shirt perhaps... tie... sidecap, etc? And would the belt and buckle be special or a standard black with the rectangular NVA buckle? At least I'm assuming a black belt with this color of uniform. So far I only have the brown double claw officers buckles and the web NVA. I have absolutely no references on DDR police formations so any guidance on this would be deeply appreciated. Methinks I need to get one of those reference discs with tons of books on a CD.

Again I'd also love to dress it up for display but A) due to the original label would that look incorrect to do so? and B) would it in any way affect the value of the tunic to do so? I'd certainly not want to put any awards on it that are screwback... as far as the ribbons or anything pinback I could "carefully" sew in a few thread loops in order to hold such awards... whereby they could easily be removed at a later date and there would be no evidence that anything had been there. I'm thinking that would probably be the way to go with ribbons and such if that sounds good.

Mucho thanks! :jumping::jumping::beer:

Dan,

The price I quoted was for the tunic and excludes the hat. As far as I know, standard TRAPO pants would work ok with this tunic. You can add pants if you wish but it would not necessarily increase the price of the uniform beyond what the pants cost you. I always like to have shirts and ties with my uniforms but that is not always possible. A side cap would be a part of the regular uniform. If you displayed this tunic with trousers no belt would be worn. If it was displayed with breeches and boots the black belt would be worn.

To me, labels, indicating an unissued uniform, detract from the effect and I would not leave the label on the tunic if I were going to display it. Labels do not add to the price of a tunic. Just the opposite. Most collectors prefer to have uinforms that were issued and look a bit used. Makes them more authentic. With this tunic, as rare as they are, it wouldn't hurt at all to remove the label.

I don't know about adding thread loops. Unless as you say, you remove them later. I have a few uniforms that have thread loops on them but they are very early uniforms and the thread loops were original to the tunic.

Regards,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Many thanks for all this great info on these. I deeply appreciate the help.

A few more questions.

How much does the hat add to the value of this piece?

As I only have torso's for display at this time, I take it it would look okay to display it with the black belt once I manage to get one... correct? As it's kind of up to the imagination what sort of pants would be worn in that situation.

Out of the ribbons I currently have which would be the best for display on this tunic?

[attachmentid=54631]

Keep in mind that I have corrected the order and know that some were pictured upside down.

Could a medal bar be worn (say this one) or did they have a dress uniform?

[attachmentid=54630]

Are there any other awards, badges, etc. that would be good to display on this? Here's what I currently have:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8727

As I'd stated before, is it best to avoid screwback badges and such due to having to put holes in the tunic? Again I'd not want to do anything that would adversely affect the value.

On the thread loops that's what I'd meant. I could use those to put on pinback awards and then remove the threads if I ever sold the tunic or at the very least state that they were something I added and not original to it so the new owner can decide if they want to keep them on or remove them. And since many of the awards have such small pins I don't think it would hurt to just put those on as is.

As far as the label if as you say it doesn't hurt to remove it then I could do that and keep it in one of the upper pockets so it stays with the tunic. I too prefer them without, or at least with it in the pocket as otherwise I agree that it just doesn't display as well.

Were any kind of aguillettes used on these uniforms assuming they were also used on dress occassions? Again I don't have any refs that go into this on Polizei items so I'm kind of lost to a degree with such things.

On the shirt and tie... would it be a white shirt and black tie? Roughly what would I be looking at price wise to get original Trapo issue on these?

I really want to do justice to this one when I display it so again anything you can tell me would definitely help to do just that.

Many thanks, :cheers:

Dan

Dan,

The hat would add about $15.00 to the cost of the uniform. Displaying the tunic on a manequin without pants you could put a black belt on it. The best ribbon to put on this tunic would be the second one from the top. Medals could be worn to match the ribbon bar. For normal service wear IE with the black belt, a blue shirt and blue tie would be sorn. For dress occassion a white shirt and blue tie. Price of shirts and ties are unknown to me. I have never bought any. I use old shirt of my own most of the time. Hard to know just what you will get when you order a shirt or tie from ebay etc. Making holes in the tunic to add screw back badges is an individual choice and I'll have to leave that up to you to decide for yourself. I don't have an answer for aiguilletes for this unit. Shooting cords might have been worn but I have never researched that particular aspect.

Regards,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Many thanks for all this great info on these. I deeply appreciate the help.

A few more questions.

How much does the hat add to the value of this piece?

As I only have torso's for display at this time, I take it it would look okay to display it with the black belt once I manage to get one... correct? As it's kind of up to the imagination what sort of pants would be worn in that situation.

Out of the ribbons I currently have which would be the best for display on this tunic?

[attachmentid=54631]

Keep in mind that I have corrected the order and know that some were pictured upside down.

Could a medal bar be worn (say this one) or did they have a dress uniform?

[attachmentid=54630]

Are there any other awards, badges, etc. that would be good to display on this? Here's what I currently have:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8727

As I'd stated before, is it best to avoid screwback badges and such due to having to put holes in the tunic? Again I'd not want to do anything that would adversely affect the value.

On the thread loops that's what I'd meant. I could use those to put on pinback awards and then remove the threads if I ever sold the tunic or at the very least state that they were something I added and not original to it so the new owner can decide if they want to keep them on or remove them. And since many of the awards have such small pins I don't think it would hurt to just put those on as is.

As far as the label if as you say it doesn't hurt to remove it then I could do that and keep it in one of the upper pockets so it stays with the tunic. I too prefer them without, or at least with it in the pocket as otherwise I agree that it just doesn't display as well.

Were any kind of aguillettes used on these uniforms assuming they were also used on dress occassions? Again I don't have any refs that go into this on Polizei items so I'm kind of lost to a degree with such things.

On the shirt and tie... would it be a white shirt and black tie? Roughly what would I be looking at price wise to get original Trapo issue on these?

I really want to do justice to this one when I display it so again anything you can tell me would definitely help to do just that.

Many thanks, :cheers:

Dan

Dan,

The hat would add about $15.00 to the cost of the uniform. Displaying the tunic on a manequin without pants you could put a black belt on it. The best ribbon to put on this tunic would be the second one from the top. Medals could be worn to match the ribbon bar. For normal service wear IE with the black belt, a blue shirt and blue tie would be sorn. For dress occassion a white shirt and blue tie. Price of shirts and ties are unknown to me. I have never bought any. I use old shirt of my own most of the time. Hard to know just what you will get when you order a shirt or tie from ebay etc. Making holes in the tunic to add screw back badges is an individual choice and I'll have to leave that up to you to decide for yourself. I don't have an answer for aiguilletes for this unit. Shooting cords might have been worn but I have never researched that particular aspect.

Regards,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Many thanks for all this great info. Sounds like I'll have to keep an eye out for the shirts and ties. I'll add the ribbon bar you suggest. And of course any other suggestions as to additional awards, etc. from my collection or perhaps something I should try to get would be most welcome.

I'm really getting excited about getting this one dolled up a bit. :jumping::jumping:

Many thanks for all your help on this. :beer: